“Saturn” by SZA is the perfect song to soundtrack your voyage through the stars

The cover image for the single, Saturn, by SZA.
Spotify
The cover image for the single, “Saturn,” by SZA.

Right now, as I have many times before, I feel stuck. 

Trying so desperately to live in the moment and appreciate life while everything falls apart around me. 

As I dream of an escape from this toxic, never-ending, painful spiral, I hear an otherworldly melody playing in the distance.

The melody is from “Saturn” by SZA, and I’m suddenly floating far, far away, finally achieving the escape I was dreaming of.

After initially claiming her hit album SOS would be her last, SZA has teased and essentially announced her third studio album, LANA. I say “essentially” because while she has talked and posted about the album, she has not given her fans a definitive release date, causing frustration and doubt in the singer’s fanbase.

LANA is a deluxe addition to SOS; SZA has said it will contain seven to ten songs.  Although the release date remains a mystery, she dropped the lead single, “Saturn,” on Feb. 22. 

The song starts with an angelic pattern of tones that entices the listener from the very first moment, drawing them into the otherworldly atmosphere.

The first verse begins as the lyrics express existential hopelessness; she only wants to leave behind this despondent planet. Throughout the verse, the notes from the introduction continue, building up an extraterrestrial feeling throughout the music.

In the pre-chorus, SZA hones in on the feeling of being trapped and stuck in her own bitter mind. Her desire to escape and her longing for more is emulated in every lyric, as she sings, “There’s got to be more, got to be more / Sick of this head of mine.” The background vocals are light and celestial, adding a whole new level to the song.

The ethereal build-up of the song’s transcendent atmosphere peaks in the chorus. The chorus starts with SZA’s phenomenal vocals singing ascending notes of “00h,” which is followed by the dreamy hook, “Life’s better on Saturn / Got to break this pattern / Of floating away.” My brain has attached itself to this line, playing it on repeat throughout each day. This is definitely partially the fault of the song’s virality across social media platforms such as TikTok and Instagram: the chorus has been all over my feed lately. Yet, I’m not complaining. As popular as the track is right now, the blissful nature of the song has not diminished with several listens as many other overplayed songs have.

While most of the song’s best features lie in SZA’s vocals and the production of the song, another favorite facet of mine is how relatable it is. Everyone dreams of an escape from their mundane, boring life, even if their life isn’t all too monotonous. Despite how unappreciated and beautiful life on Earth can be, it’s nice to dream of the possibility of leaving all of the stress behind for a fresh start, whether that be on Saturn or not.