Varsity football beats Lowell 35-10 on the road, first time since 1999


As the final minute ticked down, the Rangers were able to take victory formation at Lowell Stadium for the first time in 19 years with a 35-10 win over the Red Arrows last night. The last time FHC won on the road in this rivalry matchup, the entire football team had not been born and most of the coaching staff was not part of the program. This FHC roster is a select group in the last two decades, walking away from their football careers with two consecutive wins over the Red Arrows.

“[This win] feels great,” two-way player senior Justin Hoving said. “This was the first time beating them at their place in a long time and it was really nice beating them for the second time in a row.”

Junior quarterback Jimmy Scholler was huge for FHC last night both through the air and on his legs. He went 8 for 13 with 111 yards and 3 touchdowns in the passing game, as well as rushing for 125 yards and 1 touchdown.

“It took [Jimmy] awhile to get comfortable,” Head coach Tim Rogers said, “but he definitely is comfortable now, and he did an outstanding job.”

Junior Jimmy Scholler at quarterback.

Jimmy’s hot hand first found junior Jackson Clay 35 yards down field in the endzone. Soon after, senior Tate Hallock came down with a 30-yard touchdown pass to put the Rangers up 14-0 after the first quarter.

“I beat my guy and just found myself open,” said Jackson about his opening touchdown. “My quarterback Jimmy, who played a heck of a game, threw me the ball and we got that connection going early.”

Juniors Jackson Clay and Brandon Weiskopf celebrate a touchdown.

A 9-yard touchdown run from senior Cam Deines and one more pass to Jackson in the endzone put FHC up big at the half, 28-0. Cam had 60 rushing yards on the night, while Jackson’s 2 touchdowns gave him 60 receiving yards in the books.

Coming out of the locker room, Jimmy put up 6 more points with his legs. Junior kicker Will Gustafson was perfect all night on extra points, and FHC’s score would remain at 35. Lowell was able to secure a field goal in the third and a touchdown late in the fourth against a second-string Ranger defense, but FHC had enough of a lead to walk away with a historic win.

There have been multiple games throughout this season where Rogers has played every man off the bench. This game was a special one, for every player got a taste of beating the rival Red Arrows on their home field.

“[Getting the guys off the bench in] is huge,” two-way starter senior captain Jay Shields said. “It prepares them for next year and gives them a reward for all the hard work they’ve done in practice.”

Both the offensive and defensive lines were key to last night’s win. The offensive line was crucial to opening up holes for the rushers and providing pass protection all night long. On defense, the line stuffed Lowell’s run game from the opening drive. Two notable players on defense were senior Kyle Collar and junior Wyatt Engler, who both had 6 tackles.

“[The lines] did an outstanding job,” Rogers said. “I thought we controlled the line of scrimmage and that was the difference in the game.”

This win gives FHC an even 4-4 record overall and a 3-2 record in the OK White. The Rangers will travel to Greenville next week in hopes of another win to end the season at 5-4 with a chance of going to the playoffs.

“I think we are confident and know what we’re capable of now,” Jackson said. “We’re going to go into Greenville just like we did here. We’ll take it one step at a time and one play at a time.”