Goodbye, FHC

How do you say goodbye to something that ended so abruptly?

How do you say goodbye to something that has been a part of your life for so long? 

I’m not just talking about high school but also elementary school and middle school? For us seniors, we may not be able to have a proper goodbye from something that we have been a part of for so long. We won’t have the closure we all were striving for.

It’s so crazy because most seniors can say that they can somewhat remember what their last day of high school was like. They said goodbye to all of their teachers and their friends. They were able to walk out of the building of FHC and know that it was their last time walking out.

I can’t remember my last day at FHC. All I can remember was that it was a Thursday and that that night I had water polo practice.

That’s it. That was my last memory of high school.

During this time away from school, I have had the chance to reflect on some things and try to see things in a more positive light.

If some seniors are struggling to find something to be happy about, let me give you a list:

1. We were able to walk onto the football field and have our first day meeting outside.
  2. We were a part of a brand new addition to the cheers at our pep-rallies.
  3. We were able to be a part of the Ranger Rumble, a new pep-rally at the beginning of homecoming week. 
  4. We were able to have powder puff (and won).
  5. We were able to have a homecoming football game.
  6. We were able to have a homecoming parade.
  7. We had our final homecoming.
  8. We had not one, but two spirit weeks.
  9. We had a Winterfest basketball game.
  10.  We had Winterfest.
  11. For those of us who play either fall or winter sports, we had a senior night.
  12. We had our senior dinner dance.

Those are only twelve of the happiest times of the senior year, and there are so many more.

The last months of our senior year are so memorable to us and so very special: trust me, I know that. 

Not being able to have a prom or possibly graduation is so sad.

However, the way that I see it, you can choose to leave high school one of two ways: the happier way or the sad way.

I know that we are all still grieving; trust me, I am too.

I know that this is horrible and sad.

I know that for many of us, we weren’t able to finish or maybe even start our last spring sports season.

I know that not being able to have a prom is awful.

I know that not being able to have graduation is unreal to even think about.

However, with all of that, I choose to leave high school a happier way.

I chose to leave knowing that I was able to have more than 75% of my senior year and that it was full of the greatest of memories.

I choose to say goodbye to the past four years with a smile on my face, and with optimism in my heart.