JV volleyball tops Pioneers in two sets

JV volleyball tops Pioneers in two sets

Big win after big win keeps on piling up for the JV volleyball team. Coming off a close call against Byron Center, the Rangers were faced with a road task against their biggest adversary: the East Grand Rapids Pioneers. The girls brought all their firepower out on the court with them tonight in a huge game that could have decided the OK White champion.

In the first set, both teams kept it very close. The Rangers took a lead, sparked by sophomore Kate Hotalings huge save which led to a point for the girls early. East would not give up though and stayed tough, tying the score halfway through the set. The game plan would not change for FHC, and they ended up fighting through adversity and winning the first set by a score of 25-21.

After losing a close one in the first set, the Pioneers struggled to regain their momentum. They were a lost cause, and the Rangers blew away in this set. Sophomore Avery Zaschak had an amazing serving run that led to an early lead for the girls; sophomore Maya Holster added to this success, blowing past everyone to make her way to the front where she made a gigantic block that helped get the girls closer to victory. Freshman Brooke Bowers killed the ball late in the set and smacked it straight to the ground, finalizing the 25-7 second-set win.

The Rangers are now 5-1 on the season, which puts them on top of the OK White. Their next game is away at the Northview Wildcats on Thursday, October 8.