You spend four years of your life in high school; try to enjoy it

A perfect example of an aesthetic study environment to become a better student
stationaryheave on Pinterest

I can’t wait until Thanksgiving break.

But after Thanksgiving break, I won’t be able to wait until winter break. After winter break, I won’t be able to wait until spring break, and so on and so forth.

As a high school student, I have spent much of my time waiting for the hour to end, waiting for the day to end, then waiting for the weekend. I didn’t enjoy school until I entered high school and decided I would become a better student. Without further ado, here are some techniques I use to romanticize school.

Get involved

I know this for a fact and am speaking from experience here: school is much more fun with activities to look forward to at the end of the day. For the two months leading up to the final performance of The Curious Savage (the fall play), I was so excited to work on it at the end of the day and spend time with my awesome castmates. Trying new activities, whether that be a sport or club, is very important to get to know your classmates and teachers. Often the fatigue that comes from a grueling school day can be soothed while spending time with other people and doing the things that you love. High school is the perfect time to explore those things. Some of the best friends I have made through clubs and sports, and it is so important to get connected with your school in preparation for college.

Build good study habits

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.”

— Taylor Swift

To quote Taylor Swift, “If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.” The same applies to your education. Nothing is more frustrating than rummaging through a garbage-filled backpack only to find out that your homework from the night before was never completed. Writing in a planner or giving yourself reminders on post-it notes is a great way to keep your schoolwork organized and in check to beat those last-minute scrambles to finish an overdue assignment that you had completely forgotten about. Another helpful hack to stay on top of your schedule is to eliminate any distractions, even if it means leaving your Snapchat friends on delivered for a little longer. It is so easy to procrastinate with the lingering temptation of your phone next to you, but your future self will thank you when you can wake up in the morning knowing that you didn’t have to stay up until 2 am the night before finishing up some late assignments. 

Participate in class 

As anxiety-inducing as it might feel, it is perfectly okay to ask questions in class. Rather than waiting for someone else to raise their hand or sitting by as another group member does all the work for themselves, truly understanding the material you are learning and being curious about the topic eliminates some of the many boredoms that come with waiting for the bell to ring as you let your mind drift off. Paying attention and participating in class not only reflects positively on grades but also on the overall enjoyment of your time in school. Plus, who doesn’t love looking back on notes you actually understand? 

Dress to reflect

As an avid Gilmore Girls fan, I often find myself appreciating the main character Rory’s intelligence and, more prominently, her fashion lookbook. Rory–who often dresses in comfortable sweaters and 2000s fall fashion throughout her time on screen–is one of many television influences who know that few feelings rival the anticipation of going to school with a brand-new outfit on. From laid-back loungewear to layered vibrant attire, developing a closet where you both feel comfortable and stylish provides an extra boost of motivation when getting ready for school in the morning. Looking online for inspiration or scanning your local thrift store is a great way to build a wardrobe that you look forward to adorning every day. If there is any incentive to want to keep your attendance high, it is safe to say that it would be the buzz of excitement that comes with your favorite fashion statement. 

While I am still so excited to see my grandparents for Thanksgiving, I can now say that it can wait. The average student spends 2,160 days of their life in school, so it is important to take advantage of that and enjoy your time here.

In the wise words of Nicki Minaj herself, “It is not cool to be a loser. Go to school, graduate. Get your own. Because when it is all said and done, they can say whatever they want to say about you, but they can’t take it from you.”