Take advantage of the training wheels you have while they’re there

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Toddler Three-year-old tries out his new bike

At this point in their lives, a majority of high school students have been required to maintain a high level of maturity and independence. Parents often act as training wheels to catch their children in case they slip and fall; a perfect system since parents can ease their children into adulthood instead of throwing them in blind. However, having the ability to have a parent step in and assist when it is necessary is a privilege many students disregard.

In a recent survey sent out to all FHC students, a question inquired about how frequently one’s parents get involved in an assignment or keep up with what is happening in one’s classes. This incited a moment of inflection for me, as I realized that I have kept my parents in the dark for the past few years, and so have many others.

Especially as classes get increasingly difficult and AP season kicks into full gear, keeping someone up with what is going on in school benefits all. The stress builds up, and not discussing the root of that stress is no help to anyone.

A lack of communication regarding academics has two sources of fault most of the time. Sometimes, a parent or adult assumes that their student has everything under control because their grades appear to be normal or they don’t act stressed. They then would fail to engage with their student simply due to an intuition.

On the student’s end, they may often feel as if they are obligated to be entirely independent and thus unable to talk to an adult about the stresses of school. However, by reaching out and interacting with their parents themselves demonstrates great maturity.

An important lesson to learn in high school is how to reach out for help when it is needed. While it may seem like admitting defeat, it simply proves how badly success is craved. Not to mention, having that extra line of communication between a parent and students adds a feeling of need on both ends. If a student engages, then the adult will feel like their child is at least making an attempt to keep them in the loop, and similarly, if a parent makes an effort, their child will feel cared for and are more likely to open up to them in the future.

One of the hardest lessons to learn about independence is the fact that it is not attainable 24/7. It is impossible to not rely on others to help, and as high schoolers struggling through this last month of school it is important to reach out to those in our lives meant to help us. Take advantage of the training wheels we are provided with before we are thrown out into the world, lacking the guides we’ve had our whole lives.