Star Wars: The Obsession Awakens

Ali Roys, Junior Writer

“There are only three seats left. Which is great, because there are three of us… But… They are in the front row. Is it worth it?”

My stomach dropped. Never had such a ghoulish sentence echoed in my ears. Never had such a conflict raged in my heart. Though vicious, the battle was short, and easily won. The answer was simple, of course it was worth it. I had been waiting weeks to see Star Wars, and I wasn’t going to let poor seating take that glorious moment from me. With one tender and loving touch to my neck (and the purchase of overpriced popcorn) I found my way to Theater 13 and began an unexpectedly pleasant journey to a galaxy far, far away.

I can safely say that watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens was one of the best movie experiences I have ever had. On top of the fact that the old seats had been replaced with glorious (and comfortable) leather recliners, the movie itself would have been worth the kink in the neck if they weren’t there. Never had I been more consumed by a story, or enraptured by the beauty of a film.

The only word I can use to accurately describe my experience was euphoric.  In mere minutes, I was attached to characters that I had never seen before, and that I crave to see again. For those who worry about losing the ‘classic’ Star Wars, fear not. Even though it has been many years, the feeling that the classics always had remains. We’re still in the same galaxy, the war still rages on, and the force still resides within us all. Alongside new characters we see some familiar faces, hear some very familiar catchphrases, and of course feel our hearts heavy with the familiar weight of nostalgia. On top of the fact that the story is phenomenal, the special effects and the overall cinematography are both show stoppers. The entirety of the movie was brilliantly shot on film, which gives it a very real look and feeling to it’s appearance. Paired with the known fact that some of the shots were taken with the original lenses from past films, makes the look of this movie is absolutely intoxicating.

Needless to say, the moment it ended I was ready to watch it again.

In conclusion, this is a film that everyone should see. While the story continues from one of the most popular series in the world, newcomers should feel comfort in the fact that ‘The Force Awakens’ is a fairly easy film to follow. I personally implore any with an open mind to begin this journey to a galaxy far, far away with ‘The Force Awakens’. You will not be alone, for millions of other fans will gladly take this venture with you. I personally look forward to the next movies release, which has been announced as December 15, 2017. Until then, I highly suggest you see the film in theatres while it’s still there for the best experience, (front row if you can!) and of course may the force be with you.