Varsity B Wrestling holds high expectations for this year’s season

Ally Francisco

More stories from Ally Francisco

Top 5 Unsung Heroes
March 24, 2020
Varsity B Wrestling holds high expectations for this years season

With many returning wrestlers from the previous season, the Varsity B Wrestling team looks forward to further developing their skills and improving their winning records this season. 

“We had some standouts last year that did very well and it will be great to see their progression in the sport,” Head coach Moore said. 

Ending the season last year at the Godwin Heights Tournament, many Rangers ended their season placing first, second, or third in their brackets. Last season, the Rangers’ inexperience forced them to push through adversity and lean on each other. However, the wrestlers developed together as a team each match throughout the season. The team’s comradery and high spirits led the team to an overall successful season. The hard practices provided by the Rangers’ wrestling program helped them to immensely improve as well.

Unlike last year, experience will now be on the Rangers’ side with numerous returning players to the squad this season. Their experience will prepare the Rangers to do very well at individual JV tournaments this year. 

“I am looking forward to going all out this season and trying to get on the pedestals,” senior Alex Quiton said. 

This year, the Rangers have new wrestlers joining the program also. The leadership from returning players should serve as an essential part of their first steps onto the mat for competition. 

“Tommy Hendricks will leave an impact on the team, especially on the underclassmen,” freshman Andrew Weiskopf said.

One of last season’s standouts was current sophomore Evan Elzinga who is now competing on varsity. He had very few losses throughout the season highlighted by his standout performance against Lowell. “He will continue to rack up wins this year for FHC,” Moore said. The Varsity B team will look to fill his shoes this season. 

Another current sophomore, Will Richardson, had an exceptional 2018-2019 season. As only a freshman, he was an established leader well known for motivating his teammates. 

Similarly to previous years, local powerhouses, Lowell and Rockford will be tough returning competition for the Rangers to face this season.

“This year is no different,” Moore said. 

Both of these programs have deep rosters of talent; making it always a challenge for the Rangers. The Red Arrows and the Rams have shown in previous years to be well prepared for competition. Every win FHC can gain over these two teams, the Rangers will savor.

Continuing the program’s tradition, this season holds high expectations. The Rangers are expected to maintain strong chemistry with each athlete serving as an integral part of the team. The team’s spirits are expected to be high, which will push the team to have an overall successful season. 

“My goal is to see everyone participate and to really embrace the sport of wrestling and what it offers,” Moore said. “It is always the goal of our coaches to see kids return. We then know that wrestling (and our program specifically) has made a positive impact on them.”