Boys swim and dive loses Lakeview Quad

The boys made up a canceled meet that was scheduled for earlier this season against Battle Creek Lakeview and Midland Dow. Battle Creek Lakeview beat the Rangers 108-78, while Midland Dow beat the Rangers 109-71. Junior Josh Stevenson and sophomore Sam Yeager got their MISCA cuts in the 100-yard backstroke. Sixty percent of the team got their best times of the year, and the team exhibited great determination in the face of the adversity they met going against these tough teams.

The meet began with the 200-yard medley relay. Junior Avery LeTourneau, freshman Gavin Cai, senior Dani Ahmetovic, and Sam took third with their time of 1:45.71. Senior Andrew Kerssies followed this up with a ninth-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle with his time of 1:59.85.

Sam raced in the 200-yard individual medley and took fourth with his time of 2:13.40. Sam had a great meet, building upon earlier successes to separate himself from the pack. Junior Avery LeTourneau followed up the medley with a second-place finish in the 50-yard freestyle; his time was 22.578 seconds.

Freshman Cole Hysong and Sophomore Will Becker went one-two in the diving event with Cole’s score of 239.85 and Will’s score of 222.35. After this, Avery returned, taking second once again in the 100-yard fly with his time of 52.28. Then, freshman Ben Rogala took fourth in the 100-yard freestyle with his time of 52.31.

The 500-yard freestyle was raced by senior CJ Hier, who took third with his time of 5:12.19. Avery, Kyle, CJ, and Ben took third in the 200-yard freestyle relay with their time of 1:34.75. Josh then took third in the 100-yard backstroke.

The 100-yard backstroke was next, with Sam taking second with his time of 1:03.76. Finally, freshman Isaac Stewart, Josh, Sam, and Dani took sixth in the 400-yard freestyle relay with their time of 3:47.22.

The next meet will be against East Grand Rapids, a tough opponent. Head coach Dennis Neat commented on how this meet will catapult the Rangers forward into the season.

“Overall, we’re gaining a lot of confidence as a team despite the heavy workload at practices every day,” Neat said. “The team responded very well today to the competition, and the results showed how we are continuing to make improvements as a competitive team.”