Freshman girls basketball concludes season with a record of 15-5 with 23-19 win over Northview

On Thursday, the freshman girls basketball team took on the Northview Wildcats in their last game of the season. This win ended up being head coach Tracy Jenkins’ third OK White championship in the last five years. 

“It was very satisfying for both myself and the team to go 12-0 in the conference this year,” Coach Jenkins said. “They have worked very hard these last four months, and it paid off with a conference championship.”

The Rangers won with a final score of 23-19 against the Wildcats and proved their defense to be a dominating factor throughout the entire game. This game would turn out to be the team’s fifth game of the season where they kept their opponent under 20 points, and a majority of that came from freshmen Frankie Sutton and Gracie Vermeulen’s stellar press up top. 

Frankie and Gracie were the two primary players on the top of the Rangers’ 2-3 zone. The two combined for over a majority of the Wildcats forced turnovers and were able to get a few transition buckets off of their defense. 

“Frankie had a really good game for us,” freshman Anna Hale said. “She knew how to control the ball up top, played good defense, and made good decisions in times when we really needed her.” 

The Rangers were missing one of their leading scorers, freshman Maya Holser, in their final game; however, freshman Ellie Latunski really stepped up in the post and was able to secure many rebounds for the Rangers. 

“Ellie really was a dominant force on the boards,” Jenkins said. “She had at least a dozen boards on the night, and led us in effort down in the post.”

The game remained tight throughout the whole night, and in the end, the game came down to two clutch free-throws from Anna and having Frankie in the point-guard position to keep the game running smoothly. 

This game concluded the freshman girls basketball team’s season. With a stellar record of 12-0 in the conference and an overall record of 15-5, they had many successes for such a new and young team. 

“Throughout this season we have all learned how each of us plays, and how to bring out all the different specialties of each person, and play a good game,” Frankie said. “To win our conference was definitely really cool, but I will miss playing, and miss all my teammates.”