• Varsity girls soccer game at home: 3/25

• Hour delay: 3/20

• Coin War donations at all lunches: 3/18-3/22

The Singapore summit will benefit all involved and beyond

It’s been 65 years since fighting of the Korean War ended, but as of today, the Korean War isn’t even officially over. On July 27, 1953, a ceasefire was drawn, but since a peace treaty was never signed, technically, the war never ended. Since, North and South Korea have remained in a “tense state of armed truce,” according to CNN. It’s been over half a century, and it’s time to bring this conflict to an end, healing the entire world in the process.

There’s been many ups and downs of Trump’s administration, but a rare highlight has been progress towards peace with North Korea. Meaningless debate as to who held the bigger “nuclear button” cascaded into deep and meaningful discussion concerning the future of world peace. In the past month especially, much progress was made, including Kim Jong Un meeting with both the U.S. and South Korean delegates. Headway continued to be made, with the pinnacle being the organization of a U.S.-North Korea summit in Singapore on June 12. However, Trump’s recent cancellation of this event is physically holding the world back from reaching monumental peace and success.

I understand that there were many factors that led to this decision, but one of the main ones cited by Trump was North Korea’s calling words of Vice President Pence “ignorant.” While it may not be the most diplomatic of actions, at heart, it was simply an exertion of freedom of expression, and this is no reason to cancel an event that benefits the entire world. Additionally, I find it a bit hypocritical, as Trump himself is known for heavily and openly criticizing his fellow politicians. As a leading power of the world, our government needs to show maturity. Rise above others, allow the summit to take place, and as a result, incredible progress could be made.

Additionally, North Korea has said multiple times that they are not only willing, but working towards, allowing the summit to take place. As stated before, we need to be the mature, advanced country the world knows us as and work together with North Korea, rather than ignoring each other like little children squabbling.

The administration’s back and forth change in opinion needs to come to a halt; from organizing the event, to dropping out of it, to reconciling, to preparing for it once again, the government has taken almost every stance possible. We need to not be rash, think clearly, and make firm, but well thought-out, decisions. In times like this, it’s not impulsive changes that guarantee success, but calculated and deliberate actions.

It’s time to rise above the issues of the past, work together with everyone, even those with different opinions, and make mature decisions that will benefit all. North Korea is evidently willing to work towards this cause, and it’s obvious to all that the Singapore summit and decisions that arise from it would benefit all involved and beyond. Like a phoenix rising from its ashes, a summit could be just what we need to see world peace rising from the ashes of violence.

Nisha Rajakrishna, Editor in Chief

Nisha Rajakrishna is a senior and entering her last year on staff as an Editor-in-Chief. Nisha loves to travel and experience new cultures, and in her...