Track and field has successful first outing at the GVSU meet

At the GVSU meet on Friday, the track and field team competed in its first meet of the season. Overall, the team had a very successful day.

For the boys side, three FHC runners placed in the top five of the 400-meter race; those runners were senior Geoffrey Batterbee in first place with a time of 52.94, junior Patrick Ho in second with 53.58, and freshman Sam Yeager in fifth with 54.94. In the 800-meter, the top runners were senior Jacob Ball in fourth place with 2:09.32 and sophomore Jonah Cumings in sixth with 2:11.84. Junior Gabe Carlson came in first place at a time of 4:44. 72 and sophomore Kyle James-Heer earned third at 4:49.38.

In the boys 60-meter hurdles, senior Ryan Talbot placed third at 8.60. The relays placed in first as well. The 4×300 relay with seniors Noah Stout and Kai Hagadorn, Patrick Ho, and freshman Connor Milton ended with a time of 2:33.46. The 4×600 relay with Kai, Geoffrey, Jonah, and Gabe ended with a time of 5:58.44. For both the high jump and pole vault, Ryan placed for FHC. He placed fourth in the high jump with a score of 5-08.00 feet and first place in the pole vault with a score of 14-00.00 feet.

The girls had a successful day as well, starting with the 400-meter race. Senior Claire Baguley placed second with a time of 1:03.14. Junior Nicole Marco placed first in the 800-meter with a time of 2:27.44. For the hurdles, junior Olivia Jeong placed tenth with a time of 11.14.

The girls relays performed exceptionally as well; the 4×300 placed second with senior Madisyn Bunke, senior Hailey Aldrich, Claire, and Olivia with a time of 3:05.75. In the 4×600, the girls placed first with a time of 7:24.65. The team for this relay was Nicole, senior Courtney McAlindon, junior Chloe Zeien, and sophomore Emma Hansen. Senior Kelsey Becker placed first for FHC in the pole vault with a score of 8-06.00 feet. To end it all, Madisyn placed seventh in the long jump with a score of 14-11:00 feet.

The track and field team will compete next on Saturday, April 13 at Forest Hills Central for the king and queen of the hills races.