• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

Freshman baseball scores 3 runs in the bottom of the fifth but still lose 5-4 to FHN

Jeremy James, Sports Reporter

Despite a 5-run deficit in the fourth inning, the freshman baseball team almost came all the way back, eventually falling 5-4 to Forest Hills Northern.

The Rangers scored 4 runs in the failed comeback attempt on an RBI groundout by freshman Thomas Cobb, an RBI groundout by freshman Cole Hysong, and a single from freshman Jake Munger.

Northern scored a run early on a walk in the first inning and didn’t let up the lead. Freshman Beau Coughlin pitched 3 innings and allowed 3 runs; freshman Josh Smith threw 2 innings and gave up 2 runs.

Leading the Rangers at the plate freshman Ivan Wheland. He got on in all three at-bats and played an outstanding game in the field. Besides Ivan, other Rangers collected a hit and some walks but couldn’t put together enough hits in a row to score enough runs.

The boys freshman team’s record sits at 5-4 and it plays next on Friday at Northview. Northview, being a conference opponent, will be a tough, important game for the Rangers as they try to bounce back from this loss.