Offensive explosion pushes girls varsity soccer past Ottawa Hills 13-0

Tommy Spaletto

More stories from Tommy Spaletto

Ally Francisco
May 22, 2020
Kelsey Toole
May 17, 2020
Aspen Strauss
April 29, 2020
Ella Kelly
April 24, 2020

After a break since a big road win against Cedar Springs, the girls varsity soccer came back and made a statement with a whopping 13-0 win over the Ottawa Hills Bengals. Senior captain Ashley Ward led all scorers with 3 goals and was helped by sophomore Elisha Strawser and freshman Lauren Koczenasz, who each scored 2 goals. FHC jumps right back into action Tuesday night when they take on South Christian.

The Lady Rangers got out to a quick start on offense early when Elisha scored less than six minutes into the game, with the assist coming from junior captain Ally Francisco. Then, just 20 seconds later, Ashley put her first goal of the game in on a penalty kick. Rounding out the first ten minutes of play, Elisha scored once again off an assist from sophomore Lilly Vanskiver, and Ashley would score off a rebound from a Bengal player.

Just three minutes later, junior Jordan Helmbrecht would extend FHC’s lead to 5-0 off of an assist from fellow junior Aspen Strauss, her first assist of the season. After a couple shot attempts just a bit later, senior Megan Pointkowsky would put in another goal for FHC that was assisted by her sister, senior Kaitlyn Pointkowsky. Lauren would then go on to score 2 goals in just two minutes off of assists from Jordan and Ally. Lauren continued her offensive success by dishing out a beautiful pass that turned into a goal by junior Kelsey Toole.

The midfield of senior captain Grace Kline and Lilly Vanskiver played excellent in this game, barely allowing the Bengals to cross their side of the field. The defense led by sophomore Autumn Burns and senior captain Chloe Grooters, along with seniors Fadwa Kamari and Kristen Giles later on, also did a phenomenal job of limiting any Bengal opportunities at the net.

Kaitlyn Pointkowsky would score with eleven minutes remaining in the half off a great assist from Ashley Ward. Ashley would end up scoring her third goal of the game off an assist from Megan to extend the Lady Ranger lead to an incredible 11-0. Six minutes later, junior Hannah Becker would score off of another assist from Lauren Koczenasz. Then, the final and most memorable goal of the night, came with just 11 seconds left to play in the half. Chloe Grooters scored her first varsity goal of the season, and the Lady Rangers would win via mercy rule 13-0.

This FHC win puts the Lady Rangers at 13-2 on the season and 9-1 in the OK White Conference. FHC will be back in action on the road on Tuesday as they take on a non-conference opponent in the South Christian Sailors. The Sailors sit at an impressive 11-1-1 on the season, with their only loss being a narrow 1-0 loss to Grand Rapids Christian .