The Student Academic Success Center is an addition that is beneficial to everyone

Courtney Collar

If you walk straight into the Media Center, this is the table that greets you. The Academic Success tutors meet and work here.

The library is silent. 

Four National Honor Society members lounge in the comfortable elevated chairs at a tall brown table that is impossible to miss as you walk into the library. In front of them, a plethora of handmade paper placards have every subject FHC offers scrawled across them in eye-catching colors. 

Twenty minutes go by before a student approaches and breaks the silence. After locating the upperclassmen perched behind the Civics sign, she asks for study tips for her test tomorrow. Fifteen minutes later, the library falls into silence again. At 3:30, it empties.

Because of and despite this slow flow of students into the Student Academic Success Center, Senior Advith Reddy strongly encourages students to stop in for all their tutoring needs to be satisfied. 

“You can come in and try [the Academic Success Center] out,” said Advith, who is the NHS board member who heads up all tutoring services. “If it doesn’t work out, then you never have to come back. But, I think you would like it because it’s a nice personal connection with somebody that actually knows what they’re talking about and knows what they’re doing, and then they can help you out with whatever you need. I think the most important thing is it’s not a huge commitment.”

Tuesday through Thursday after school, high school students of any age can stop into the Student Academic Success Center located in media center and are guaranteed to receive help with any subject they are struggling with.

The Success Center is the perfect solution for students who need help, even shy students. The center aims to alleviate multiple stresses all at once by being commitment-free and completely need-based. 

“It’s a more calm environment,” Advith said. “There are some people that don’t like classroom settings because of the sheer number of people that are in it, and the teacher can only talk with so many students at once. The one-on-one is nice because it allows direct interaction between two people and then the focus is solely on that student.”

In addition to that, it takes away any awkwardness or embarrassment students may feel when they must approach their teachers to admit they don’t know or understand the material. Instead, they are surrounded by peers who understand their struggles and may have tips on how they pushed through them. 

Moreover, the Academic Success Center is a nice alternative to a rigid schedule with a singular tutor, though NHS would be happy to provide that should it be requested. If a student has a question about a couple homework problems or a certain concept, the Academic Success Center is a convenient way to gain clarification. 

But, the center isn’t just servicing students struggling with their course load. Senior and NHS liaison board member Andy Travis believes it will positively impact FHC’s school culture. 

“I think that something really great about Central is that we really collaborate and work together,” Andy said. “And so the Academic Success Center kind of like a manifestation of that in that it’s people across grades and across interests who are working together to help each other understand new areas.”

Andy also believes this intellectually nurturing environment is a cornerstone of NHS. 

“NHS is all about connecting with the community and volunteering,” Andy said. “And so not only are you connecting with the outside world through activities, the Academic Success Center is our way to really focus on the scholarship pillar of NHS and also the service within the school.”

The four pillars of NHS are scholarship, service, character, and leadership. Senior Anabel Varghese agrees with Andy that the Student Academic Success Center exemplifies all of these values. 

While your grades get you into NHS, this is a chance for members to apply what you know, therefore satisfying the scholarship aspect. 

She also believes through the collaboration Andy mentioned, members build their character. Because they are all just trying to help, they need to learn how to listen to each other’s ideas and well as listen to the needs of their tutee. 

And since NHS members are upperclassmen, Anabel said that it is their duty to take initiative in regards to both the Academic Success Center and in the school in general. They are the model for the “stressed out, anxiety-ridden lowerclassmen.”

“When I became a NHS officer, all I want to do is help people if I could in any way possible,” said Anabel, who is the NHS board member in charge of communications. “Even though I’m just sitting behind making sure [the Academic Success Center] goes well, I know that there’s going to be someone who got help, even if it’s just one person. Right now, there isn’t many people that are coming or anything. But, when someone does come, like ‘hey, I need help,’ it just feels good to see that. They’re getting what they need without having to wait for someone to be available.”