Boys Swim and Dive takes third at Cereal Bowl Relays

In their first meet as a separate team from Northern and Eastern, the Rangers secured an impressive third place at the Cereal Bowl Relays. They lost to only Ann Arbor Pioneer and Battle Creek Lakeview and far outclassed their former teammates, the Forest Hills Northern/Eastern team, who took seventh. This is a great start to the season and gives the team a promising glow heading into the rest of their opening season.

The meet started with the diving relay event. Sophomore Cole Hysong put out a phenomenal performance and won by almost fifty points with his score of 412.25. This was one of the better performances this meet by the Rangers and a great start to the season for Cole.

Beginning the swimming events of the meet, the Ranger team of freshman Gavin Cai, senior Dani Ahmetovic, sophomore Sam Yeager, and sophomore Benji Zorn took fourth in the 200-yard breaststroke relay. Their time of 1:59.65 was a little over ten seconds faster than the fifth-place Forest Hills Northern/Eastern team. The next race was an unfortunate 12th place finish in the 500-yard up-down relay, a rare slip-up in a meet full of successes.

The next event was a return to form. Senior CJ Hier, junior Josh Stevenson, freshman Ben Rogala, and junior Avery LeTourneau took second in the 400-yard freestyle relay with their time of 3:25.09. Next up was yet another fourth-place finish by sophomore Roman Kalaczinski, freshman Isaac Stewart, Gavin, and Benji. Their time was 4:16.19.

Senior Kyle Carter, Ben, CJ, and Avery swam the 200-yard fly relay incredibly, beating Ann Arbor Pioneer by .66 seconds and winning with their time of 1:39.30. This would be the only first-place finish in the swim events all day for the Rangers.

The 200-yard backstroke relay was next up, with the Rangers taking fifth. The team of sophomore Andrew Kerssies, freshman Aden Pomeroy, Isaac, and Sam had a time of 2:04.67, a great season start for the young team. Taking the eighth out of eleven events was the 400-yard medley relay. The Rangers took sixth in this event with their time of 3:57.83.

Nearing the end of the meet was the 800-yard freestyle relay. The Rangers took sixth in this exhausting event with their time of 8:32.79. The team consisted of Andrew, Sam, Isaac, and Roman. The 200-yard medley relay was one of the most successful events of the meet for the Rangers, with CJ, Benji, Kyle, and Avery taking second with their time of 1:41.39.

Finally, the Rangers took sixth in the 200-yard freestyle relay. The team of sophomore Francesco Roveri, Roman, Dani, and Josh had a time of 1:40.42. This finished the first meet of the season. The team looked good and ended up beating their former teammates from Northern and Eastern. Looking on to the rest of the season, the Rangers will be swimming at East Kentwood, a good matchup that will be sure to test the team as the non-relay racers begin their seasons.