WE STILL DON’T TRUST YOU is already an underrated album

Album cover for WE STILL DONT TRUST YOU.
Spotify
Album cover for WE STILL DON’T TRUST YOU.

We Still Don’t Trust You is the second half of a two-album collab project between producer Metro Boomin and rapper Future. No one is talking about it, and I don’t know why. After being released a mere two weeks after its initial album, WE DON’T TRUST YOU, it feels like this album fell to the back burner as soon as it dropped. Due to the controversy stirred up by the first album, its successor never got the attention it deserved.

WE DON’T TRUST YOU was a powerful trap album through and through, but We Still Don’t Trust You took a different approach. Instead of playing off the same trap elements the first album utilized, this time, Metro and Future opted for more of a pop/RnB approach. They did it well, but no one noticed.

The first track, “We Still Don’t Trust You,” is a bouncy, upbeat pop song featuring airy vocals from The Weeknd, paired with smooth choruses, bridges, verses, and refrains from Future. Opting for a more complex song structure than the common ‘hook-verse-hook’ pattern. It’s a great radio song with a late-night drive vibe, and if you throw it on aux going down I-96 at two in the morning, it’ll never miss. It’s a catchy song showcasing Metro’s and Future’s diverse skills.

Another of the best songs on the album is “Out Of My Hands.” This track blends the traditional hip-hop elements of the previous album with the new, experimental RnB sound they’ve been playing with on this album. Future’s cadence and flow strongly resemble the last album, but the instrumental is a little stronger while still carrying RnB elements.

It’s a great radio song with a late-night drive vibe, and if you throw it on aux going down I-96 at two in the morning it’ll never miss.

If the last song was a blend of RnB and trap, another one, “Show Of Hands,” featuring A$AP Rocky, is a blend of trap and an instrumental that you’d expect from a futuristic concept album. With robotic electronic sounding synths and hard punchy drums, this song has an extremely unique sound. A$AP Rocky throws more shots at Drake in this song, following the trend of these albums being diss tracks on the Canadian rapper. The song is an amazing blend of experimentation and classic trap sounds, flexing even more of Metro’s skill.

Overall, this album is criminally underrated. It has a completely different vibe from the first album but sounds just as spectacular as it did on the original. It’s just unfortunate that the first album caused so much of a stir between Kendrick Lamar slamming Drake that the first album is still on the front pages of all major news sites, and prohibited the sequel from receiving the spotlight it deserves.