Girls varsity soccer team battles it out with Northern

Last night, the girls varsity soccer team faced the Northern Huskies in an epic battle. The Rangers were looking to defeat their rivals yet again, but ultimately fell short. The team suffered a heart-wrenching loss when a Husky goal was scored within the final 10 seconds of the game, ending the game 1-0.

Even with the tough loss, there were a few key players and the team maintained its amazing dynamic. Following a weak first half, the ladies came into the second half better prepared and ready to get back in the game. Throughout the second half the girls moved the ball better and worked well as a team.

“In the beginning Northern came out pretty strong and some people were on their heels, but we brought it together in the second half and we really fought and kept it in their half a lot more,”  freshman Autumn Burns said.

The Rangers gave themselves quality chances and opportunities but couldn’t quite find the back of the net. Even against such a difficult opponent, the starters and subs stepped up and fought hard, especially the backline. The subs gave great intensity and quality minutes to the team.

“Last night the players off the bench really did a great job coming in and giving us a spark,” senior Emma yoder said.

Among the standout players, Autumn was especially key by playing hard in the back field and she kept good composure, which spread to the rest of the defensive line.

“Autumn sees the field and often creates offensive opportunities for us because of her knowledge of the game and distribution skills,” head coach Ashley Ludtke said.

Facing a tough loss like this gives a team a chance to reflect upon themselves and what they can work on. For the ladies, they will continue to find their teammates’ feet giving them more opportunities to score overall. The Rangers currently stand at 10-2 this season. The girls look ahead to their next game against Ottawa Hills this upcoming monday.

“For our next game I think that we need to just focus on putting the ball in the back of the net; you can’t win any games if you don’t score,” Emma said. “That’s what we will continue to focus on with our upcoming practices.” 

About the Writers
Kaylyn Whitten, Photographer

Favorite part of being on staff: Getting to know new people and having the opportunity to write and take pictures.

Favorite type of story: Photo galleries

Hobbies/interests: Swimming for the high school team, hiking, traveling, and hanging out with friends.

Favorite Book and why: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak due to its characters and its captivating plot.

It’s Friday night, you will usually find Kaylyn: Hanging out with her friends.

Zoe Lipke, Sports Reporter

Zoe is a sophomore in her second year on The Central Trend. She is writing for the sports report this year. Zoe partakes in girls basketball at our school, she is her classes Student Council Vice President, and plays soccer for Midwest United FC.

Favorite Thing About Being on Staff: Her favorite part of being on staff is all the people she gets to hang out with during class and getting to write about sports, which she loves.

Hobbies/Interests: Soccer, basketball, and hanging out with friends.

On a Friday Night You Will Typically Find Zoe: At a football game, basketball game, or hanging out with friends.

Interesting Fact About Zoe:  She has won the basketball state title twice and travels the country for soccer. She also had knee surgery at the end of freshman year, but she is back and better now!

Audrey Sidebotham, Sports Reporter

Audrey is a sophomore and is entering her second year on the staff for The Central Trend. She is writing for sports this year. Audrey participates in women’s basketball and softball. Favorite Thing About Being on Staff: Getting to know all of the amazing people that are part of TCT.Favorite part of FHC: The school pride and how everyone gets together to support our community. On a Friday night, you will probably find her: At a football game, basketball game, or curled up in her bed reading.

Jordyn Carlson, Sports Reporter

Jordyn Carlson is a Junior at FHC, this is her second year writing for The Central Trend as a Sports Reporter. Jordyn wishes to continue writing all through high school and continue writing after that. She also plays Softball for FHC.

• Favorite part about being on staff: Getting to know new people in different classes and writing, of course!
  • Hobbies/Interests: Softball, playing her ukulele, hanging out with friends, and writing
  • Favorite book: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee because it teaches so many lessons that are so important and valuable to know.
  • Its Friday night, you will usually find Jordyn: Watching Netflix, hanging out with friends, or working at Chuck E Cheese.