Freshman baseball sweeps Greenville behind great pitching and fielding

The freshman baseball team traveled to Greenville on Wednesday to start the season with a double-header; the Ranger’s won game 1 6-2 and game 2 16-0. The pitching and fielding were exceptional both games—giving up just 2 total runs in the two games.

In the first game, freshman Josh Smith put together an outstanding offensive game carrying the Rangers to a four-run win; the pitching duo of freshmen Jacob Munger and Beau Coughlin held the Yellow Jackets to just a few hits and 2 runs. While the pitchers were throwing strikes consistently, this meant more balls in play, but the fielding committed few errors helping the pitchers in that aspect of the game.

Starting game two were seven new players out of the nine on the field. These seven players stepped up big time, mercying Greenville in three innings. Once again, Josh helped the offensive momentum, and the Rangers used it to score 16 runs. Another offensive bat that secured the mercy was freshman Ivan Wheland—who got a hit in each of his at-bats. The most outstanding player, though, was freshman pitcher Kaeden Palmitier, who threw a three-inning no-hitter. He was throwing a perfect game but walked a batter with just one out left.

The Rangers swept the Greenville Yellow Jackets in its first games to start the season, moving to a 2-0 record and will play at home on Friday against rival Forest Hills Northern.