Captains Emma Costello and Ally Werkema help lead the freshman volleyball team to a 3-2 record at EK

The freshman volleyball team kicked off its season at the East Kentwood Falcon Fest invite yesterday afternoon. They started off the season strong with an overall record of 3-2 in a total of 3 matches against East Kentwood, Traverse City St. Francis, and West Catholic. 

The first opponent they went against was the East Kentwood Falcons. The Rangers dominated the first match by sweeping the Falcons in just two sets. In the first set, they outscored the Falcons 25-12 and in the second set, they won 25-16. 

West Catholic was a tough and competitive match for the Lady Rangers. In the first set, the Rangers started off with a 25-19 loss. However, they came back and won the second set 25-14. Ellie Latunski and Maya Holser gave some killer and key serves for the Rangers that put them back in the match in the second set. Even with the great comeback to tie the match, the ladies fell short and lost the third set 15-5.

Lastly, the Rangers played against Traverse City St. Francis. Coming back after a loss, the Rangers were very motivated to win the third match. This match was a similar story to the match against East Kentwood. Once again, the girls defeated their opponent in only two sets. In the first set they won 25-10, and in the second they won 25-20. 

A lot of their success came from freshman captain Emma Costello. She played a lot of 6 rotations throughout the three matches for the Rangers as well as dominating all around the court. Freshman Ally Werkema, another captain, was also a major key to their success. In the setting position, Ally played excellently by working with them out of system balls. She helped make the Rangers extremely effective by putting a good ball up every time. 

After the good start to the season, the Lady Rangers play next on September 3rd in a quad at Grand Rapids Christian.