Freshman Volleyball goes 2-1 at the Grand Rapids Christian Quad

After a great start to the season at the East Kentwood quad, the freshman girls volleyball team competed at Grand Rapids Christain yesterday afternoon. The Rangers played in a total of 3 matches against Hudsonville, Unity Christian, and Grand Rapids Christain. Overall, the Rangers went 2-1.

The Rangers first faced off against Hudsonville, who has a very talented squad. In the first set, FHC and Hudsonville battled back and forth. Brooke Kushak was a key player for the rangers on the offensive end. While Emma Costello helped maintain solid defense stopping many of Hudsonvilles threatening chances. However, the Rangers fell just short in the first match 24-26 and lost the second match 14-25.

In the second match against Unity Christain, the Rangers offensive threat was too much to handle. Jaida Coller stepped in and set three rotations. Ally Werkema the other setter stepped in and hit while she played in the front row. Ally was a dynamic part of the Rangers offensive game. On the defensive end, Ella Hunnewell played great as well.  The rangers swept this match in only two sets with a 25-12 and 25-17 victory. 

Lastly, the Rangers went up against Grand Rapids Christain and had a very good game all the way around. The Rangers also won this match within just two sets winning 25-15 and 25-21.  Ally Werkema was once again a key player in this match. She defensively helped push the momentum upward during the match. Also, Ellie Latunski was a brick wall at the net with her blocking throughout the match which helped the rangers extend their lead. Lastly, Maya Hosler on the offensive end was pivotal with her serving. 

The freshman volleyball team competes next on Thursday, September 5th at the East Kentwood Invite.