The Newest Staff Members of FHC: Jessi Dykstra

1.) What subject do you teach?

English 9, Creative Writing, Senior Lit – I’m also directing the fall play & spring musical!

2.) Is this your first year teaching

Nope! I used to teach at a small school in Muskegon! 

3.) How has your experience been these first couple of weeks of school

Great! I’ve never taught English 9 before –  I’ve done 10-12 – so I’m finding that new experience to be super fun and the Freshman are iconic.

4.) What is something you love to do in your free time

In my free time I like to go book shopping, very on-brand for my subject, do henna, play Dungeons & Dragons, and spend too much time looking at Amazon Storefronts

5.) What made you decide that you wanted to be a teacher

My amazing English teachers – especially my middle school teacher, who made me feel smart for the first time, and I realized I was actually good at English. Students should know that they are smart and valued – I teach to help students feel more confident in their academic ability! That, and I hope they know that they are valued for who they are!

6.) What is something that you are looking forward to this year

I’m looking forward to homecoming, it sounds super cool here, and watching football as my last school did not have a football team, and I hear the rangers are pretty good, shout out to the football players I have in class.

7.) Have you previously taught with FHC staff members

I have not previously taught with any FHC staff, but I did student teach at FHN, I know, I know, with Mrs. Leese! 

8.) If you had one word to describe your experience at FHC so far what would it be and why?

I would say one word to describe my experience so far is sublime, to quote Ken from Barbie – it’s going well, I’m learning new things, I’m meeting amazing humans, the staff is beyond wonderful, and my students are pretty cool, W students.