FHC varsity baseball sweeps Greenville and takes sole possession of conference lead

Coming in averaging 8.5 runs a game in conference play, the Greenville Yellow Jackets were tied with FHC for second in the league entering a huge week around the OK White. The Ranger staff not only slowed down, but aggressively brought the Yellow Jackets to a halt. Both teams entered the series boasting a 14-3 record, but FHC came out with a major conference sweep. The Rangers completed this feat Thursday night with a 7-0 win at Greenville.

After outstanding performances on the mound from Nate Doolittle and Johnny Irish on Tuesday night, the Rangers came in Thursday looking to keep their momentum and take the OK white conference lead, with rival Lowell losing two Northview to open up the opportunity.

Mark Scannell got the call for the Rangers to tame the cooling Greenville offense, and stepped up to the task with ease. Mark struck out nine through six and a third innings with only two walks on the night. It took Greenville until the fifth to finally muster a hit, and they never crossed the plate.

The offense came out with an early bang as junior Miko Rodriguez and senior Reed Aleck came out smashing with back to back base knocks. Junior Johnny Irish finished the Rangers scoring in the first with a deep sac fly to right center.

Johnny not only was a weapon on the mound this series, but at the dish too. With a 1-2 count, Johnny took a hanging curveball and bent it fair just before the foul pole could stop it to give the Rangers a 5-0 lead. He later singled, scoring the final run of the night with plenty of cushion for starter Mark Scannell to try to finish the effort.

With the new high school pitch count limit, Mark had to be taken out in the bottom of the seventh with an out recorded. Senior relief man, Jon Martin, was called in to finish the job. After a quick out and a base hit, the final flyout was recorded to Miko in center field.

A platoon of Rangers jumped in the hitting action with multiple hits including Johnny, Reed and Mark. Eight of nine Rangers in the starting lineup reached base in a complete effort for the night.

The Rangers improved to 17-3 overall on the year and 8-1 in the OK White. The updated OK White standings are as follows:

FHC 8-1

Lowell 7-2

Northview 6-3

Greenville 8-4

Cedar Springs 4-8

FHN 2-10

Ottawa Hills 0-9

The Rangers will look to continue their success this weekend against OK Red opponent East Kentwood.