Misogynistic children’s clothing is cracking jokes over legitimate issues

Children’s Place
Just one of the many examples of sexist children’s clothing.

“I hate my thighs” versus “I’m super.”

“I’m ready for my #selfie” versus “boy genius.”

Little girls’ clothing versus little boys’ clothing.

“No cookies for me, prom is in 10 years.”

Misogyny.

Children’s graphic t-shirts and even babies’ jumpers have these phrases plastered on them. Frankly, it’s nauseating—I’m sick to my stomach.

I’m sick because not only is it misogynistic, but it is also sexualizing children. Sexualizing babies.

On the surface, these clothes are a joke and meant to be unserious—it’s amusing to consider the fact that a child could have complex and adult thoughts. In spite of this, the “jokes” I am seeing regularly on clothing meant for little girls routinely is a play on the insecurities of women that society has upheld while women try to dismantle unrealistic expectations.

And, by pasting these misogynistic phrases that are meant to be hilarious on the chests of children, companies are normalizing the idea that women should hate themselves. They are making the hardships that women endure the butt of a joke and instilling these ideas into children before they are even capable of reading.

Surely, there would be a greater uproar if such shirts were released for boys, but the idea that women are supposed to be insecure and obsessive about their looks has become far too commonplace and stereotypical.

All it takes to see a clear difference is a Google search. Results for “misogynistic kids’ shirts” include pink tees in toddler size that say “future Hooters’ girl” and “make ‘em drool early” whereas “misandristic kids’ shirts” don’t include any shirts designed to stereotype and minimize the value of boys and men.

And, by pasting these misogynistic phrases that are meant to be hilarious on the chests of children, companies are normalizing the idea that women should hate themselves.

Perhaps it is true that many little girls like pink. But, also, girls who like pink have dreams, goals, and intelligence just as much as any boy who likes blue. Girls who enjoy glitter can also love sports, and toddlers who play with dolls will want to make something of themselves someday too.

Nobody, especially children, should face negative comments about their body whether it be verbally or displayed on a clothing item—even more so since these kids are not picking out the demeaning pieces themselves. Parents are intentionally selecting clothes that are inappropriate for children, which calls into question how the gender of a child impacts the way that they are parented.

Along with the parents, the blame falls on both the companies that are distributing these misogynistic clothes and primarily the designers of these disturbing shirts. There is a systemic issue that all levels share the blame for, from the producers to the consumers; girls, no matter their age, should not ever be made to feel like they are less than boys in any field because of their gender.

Children’s shirts should be exclusively appropriate for children and bring a smile to the faces of everyone who surrounds them in a pure manner. The entirety of kids’ clothing designs must be revamped.

“I’m a super girl” and “I’m a super boy.”

Equality.

“I love cupcakes!”

Joy without insecurity.

“Girls can do anything.”

Improvement.