Renfield ranks low on my list of vampire movies that are worth my time

One of the only films I’ve ever considered abandoning

Having a movie list of over three hundred may give the impression that, over the years, I have acquired a taste for specific genres or styles. In reality, any movie has a chance of piquing my interest. From experiencing the horror of Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs to the perfect fall vibe in When Harry Met Sally, and everything in between is the only way to describe the extensive list of my favorite films.

While I’m usually an enjoyer of all genres and varieties of films, I barely even had the motivation to finish a movie recommended to me by a friend.

Renfield, another Hollywood vampire movie, stars Nicholas Cage and has a secret tie to his past. The 1992 film, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, is directed by none other than Cage’s uncle: Francis Ford Coppola. In a sense, Cage has come full circle in the movie industry’s obsession with bloodsucking characters.

Although it is evident that Cage puts every ounce of his being into his roles, no matter the size or success of the film, his performance cannot save the poor quality of this movie.

It follows the story of Robert Renfield, portrayed by Nicholas Hoult, as he begins to question his experience and loyalty being Dracula’s servant. Realizing that he’s not entirely content with the life he’s leading, consisting solely of bringing Dracula bodies to feed on, he starts to take part in a self-help group designed to assist people in codependent relationships. After over 90 years of Renfield’s faithful service to his narcissistic boss, he can’t help but wonder if there’s something more for him in the world. 

From the very start of the film, we see the backstory of Renfield’s life and how he came to the position he’s currently in. Under usual circumstances, I find myself enjoying narration in movies as I believe it allows an alternate perspective for the characters we get to know throughout the film; in this instance, although it has a sort of childlike charm to it, the narration has a patronizing undertone. It explains even the simplest aspects of the movie that are obvious to the viewers as if the audience isn’t able to understand. 

Although it is evident that Cage puts every ounce of his being into his roles, no matter the size or success of the film, his performance cannot save the poor product of this movie.

Not only did the narration have me feeling this way, but the acting did as well. I am not an acting connoisseur by any means, but there were definitely some parts that I felt were over-exaggerated. Even though it felt like I was watching a poorly written Disney Channel show, there are worse things to see in a film than overacting performers. 

The only thing about this movie that I really enjoyed was the soundtrack. There is a point when Renfield decides that he’s going to make the great, life-altering decision to be the hero in his story and step away from the bindings of his conceited employer. During this scene—which is probably one of the most lighthearted in the film—the producers made the decision to add “2 Be Loved (Am I Ready)” by Lizzo. 

That moment is the only thing that made me see the film through to the end. One of my favorite things in any production is the quality of its soundtrack, so to see some unique songs in Renfield saved me from abandoning it halfway through. 

However, the music isn’t nearly enough to make me say that this is a film that I would waste another hour and a half of my life sitting through. There are definitely better vampire films that are more worth my time.