The peace I find in the stars is unimaginable

A picture that Abby McConnell took of the peaceful stars

Two hundred billion trillion tiny balls of gas. You can see about 6,000 of them in your sky if you get far enough from the streetlights or lights from buildings and houses. Once you get far enough from the light, the peace you’ll find is unfathomable. 

The other day, I was riding in the back seat of a car and looked out of the window. The sky was full of stars. My friends and I pulled into a parking lot and got out of the car. We climbed onto the roof of the car and sat down. Unfortunately, we were surrounded by streetlights. I tried using my hands to cover the lights, and it felt like I could see billions of tiny balls of gas. We were all shivering but couldn’t seem to force ourselves to get back in the car. It was too peaceful and beautiful. We were in total awe because of the beautiful night sky. The second we got in the car I wished we could go back out. I immediately wished I could feel that peace again.

We were in total awe because of the beautiful night sky.

Eighty-eight constellations in the galaxy. All are made from the 200 billion trillion tiny balls of gas. There are the common ones like The Big Dipper, The Little Dipper, and Orion. There are also uncommon ones like the ones named after zodiac signs. Although it’s kind of basic, The Little Dipper will always be my favorite. One reason is it’s one of the easiest to find. When I look at the night sky, The Little Dipper always stands out.

The North Star. One big ball of gas. Every star circles around the North Star. The North Star is one of the brightest stars in the sky. The North Star is even brighter than the Sun and has a heavier mass than the Sun; it’s just further away. I think the North Star is underrated. 

When I look at the night sky and feel that peace, those are the two things I look for. The North Star and The Little Dipper. Those are two things that help me feel more peace than I already feel when I’m looking at the stars. When I look at the stars, I don’t have a care in the world. Some people neglect stars. Sure, you see them every day if you’re far enough from the lights and pollution. 200 billion trillion balls of gas are in the sky and people neglect them. I think stars are the most beautiful things in the world.  People ignore stars just because they see them every day. Why wouldn’t you feel peace while you’re surrounded by beautiful stars? 

Two hundred billion trillion balls of gas. That’s all I need to feel peace. I just want to be able to look up at the night sky and see those beautiful balls of gas. That is what my peace is.

View Comments (1)
Addie McDowell
Addie McDowell, Staff Writer
Addie is a freshman entering her first year on The Central Trend. She is so excited to become a staff member, and can't wait to write more stories. She's wanted to become a writer on The Central Trend since the beginning of her eighth-grade year because of her love for writing and is so excited to publish some of her stories. In her free time, Addie enjoys listening to music, writing in her notes app, and hanging out with her friends.   Her favorite thing to drink: Slushies (specifically from Speedway) Her favorite season: Fall. The best part of fall is definitely the mini pumpkins. Her comfort Disney movies: Tangled or Mulan Favorite food: Watermelon

• A

Alex SmithNov 16, 2023 at 2:07 pm

that was the best night <3 this is a gorgeous column Adds.

Reply