My jewelry box: sapphire

Juliana Lieuwen
A jewelry box containing irreplaceable pieces.

Over the years you have changed. You are not the same as you once used to be. You have morphed and shifted into new exciting forms.

You started as a little pink box. When you were opened, a tiny little ballerina would pop up and begin to dance across your crafted stage. Music would start to play with the turn of a key, and the ballerina would perform for the little girl in front of her. 

The little girl would store her various pieces of cheap jewelry in you. The rainbow loom bracelet her brother made. The necklace that was bought from Five Below. The plastic Hello Kitty ring she found on the sidewalk. These items may not be valuable but to the little girl, they were priceless; you were happy to hold this array of irreplaceable objects. 

The little girl began to grow up though. She became disinterested in you, so you changed to fit her needs. You were no longer a little pink box with a ballerina hiding inside, but rather, you matured into a larger brown box. When the box was opened multiple compartments would pop out displaying the girl’s array of jewelry. 

Over time you became filled with new things. Some pieces of jewels were tossed away, outgrown, or lost. These pieces are missed gravely by you and the girl. The girl wishes she would have treasured these pieces more, she wishes she could hold onto her past tighter, and bask in the comfort of old memories. 

The older the girl gets the more you change. Your wood begins to show signs of wear as small scratches appear on your surface. You are no longer filled with valueless items; now you contain an assortment of necklaces, rings, bracelets, and earrings worth much more than the little girl could have once imagined. 

The girl wishes she would have treasured these pieces more, she wishes she could hold onto her past tighter, and bask in the comfort of old memories. 

As the girl matures you mature too. You help to represent the growth of the girl. You watch her shift from a young girl—excited about every new, unexpected aspect of the world—become older. The new girl seems to be more interested in how she looks than the world around her. You miss the little girl and her curiosity and excitement about everything; you also appreciate her growth. She is much different than the person you once knew, but you have watched her overcome hardships, make new friends, and start to find her place in the world. 

You represent the continual change the girl has gone through. You have watched the little girl grow up. As she becomes older the jewelry safely held in your compartments changes along with the girl.

Both you and the girl have evolved. You once were a little pink box—containing pieces worth nothing, but to the little girl, they are worth everything. Now you are a larger wooden box, holding items of a much greater value. 

The once-little girl has grown up. She has learned things about the world that she wishes could be forgotten. She has also experienced things far beyond what her imagination could grasp. Beautiful things. Her outward appearance has shifted from a young girl to someone more mature. She used to be so innocent, believing that the world had nothing but her best interest in their mind. With time she came to realize that the world is filled with anger, hurt, and sin. 

Despite all of the growth and change occurring in you and the girl neither are that different. They both still hold the same meaning. The world has shaped the girl, in some ways good and others bad. 

The little girl is not so little anymore, but she is excited to see what her future has in store for her.