The jumbled contents of my memory chests – an ornate porcelain egg

Maylee Ohlman
This is another one of those moments where life seemed simpler while reading at the beach.

On a slow, leisurely July afternoon, a girl’s dad was driving her down Cherry Street when she spotted a welcoming stand filled with endless, tiny porcelain figures. She gasped in delight—she has a special place in her heart for tiny items—and immediately asked her dad to find a parking spot. 

As she and her dad walked up to the wrap-around stall, a kind woman smiled genuinely and complimented her on her outfit. Beaming, the girl thanked her profusely for saying that. She was quite proud of her outfit that day. She had paired a pair of lime green shorts with her favorite white cropped top from a whale-watching excursion, and she had styled her hair with a flair in double twists, complete with two perfect pale-white bows.

She began to peruse the selection of knick-knacks, pointing out any item that she deemed adorable—although she did not need any of them. She skimmed her hand through the items with a feather-light touch, feeling the groove of handmade earrings and the sleekness of porcelain plates. 

She stopped abruptly at a small stall section, peering at a minuscule ceramic egg. It had an intricate design like she’d never seen, with a deep purple violet flower on the top and swirling greens and golds. She lifted it into her hands, inspecting every attribute of the egg. Flipping it over, she discovered a faint phrase stenciled in gold; upon further inspection, she realized it said, “Limoges, France.” 

She later learned that phrase meant that the porcelain was made in a famous city in France known for its china, but at that moment, she was simply delighted by the discovery of the egg. She went up to the amiable woman from earlier to purchase the egg, and once again, the woman admired her pick and bagged it with great care, never failing to smile and reply enthusiastically to the young girl’s questions. 

Something about ultimate kindness and heart made her feel warm and fuzzy inside, especially when received from another woman.

Once she finished paying, the girl and her dad ventured to their favorite ice cream shop, with the joyous teen bouncing on the balls of her feet the whole way there. Something about ultimate kindness and heart made her feel warm and fuzzy inside, especially when received from another woman. She was reminded of her love of the Barbie movie, where girlhood was a central theme reiterated throughout the picture. At that moment, she couldn’t help but feel that she had experienced one of those sweet moments, and that realization made her grin with joy.

She and her dad then continued to shop around after devouring their double scoops of ice cream, peering at aesthetically pleasing window displays, and visiting a few more locally owned boutiques. Although she did this somewhat often, that day evoked a unique radiance in her soul. Something about the near-perfect weather and the overall kind, cheery atmosphere that day on Cherry Street made her appreciate the simple moments of happiness more often. 

To this day, she continues to look for the bright side and little things in everyday life, knowing that if she doesn’t stop and look around occasionally, she might miss the pure moments concealed in everything she does.