Love letters to life—your words bring me comfort

Alysse Calabio
I hear the words you sing, and they transform the way I feel

To Life,

Your words bring me comfort.

I hear them in a million different sounds.

I see them in a million different sentences.

I long for them in a million different ways.

I hear the songs you sing for me.

Their melodic tunes wisp around my ears. They tell me stories of finding love and losing it, of people’s proudest moments and people’s lowest, and of earned confidence and raw insecurity. Your sound encompasses me; it feels as though I am there, experiencing and living each of your tales. Your endless sounds tell endless stories, but somehow, you always find the right ones to comfort me. 

The calming hums of your slow, entrancing melodies wrap around me like a blanket in those moments of sadness, showing me warmth and empathy when I need it most.

The songs you confidently belt out make it hard to not feel the same way; it’s a flash of adrenaline I will always be chasing after.

I see the words you write me.

I watch as your words turn into sentences that turn me back into the girl I was when I was 10. The girl who could never get enough of them: your words, the worlds you created, the places you took her, everything. The girl who never wanted to leave, but then again, why would she when she could be wherever she wanted in the world—whoever she wanted in the world?

And so, I hope your words never cease to be with me.

You show me places where people are destined to fall in love, always guessing as to how but never questioning as to if. You show me places where mystery hides behind every door, every person, and every intention. You show me places where history is in the making, contorting and twisting the truth to make a beautiful story.

I live vicariously through each one of your words, but at the same time, I live independently from each one of your words. They let me live life safely, and they persuaded me to live life audaciously. 

I long for the comfort they bring me.

I seek out the thrill they give me. I search for the ease they engulf me in. I pursue the way your words make me feel.

Your words bring me comfort.

Love always,

Alysse