There is science to building effective habits

Atomic+Habits+is+a+book+written+by+American+writer+and+public+speaker%2C+James+Clear.+
Pinterest
Atomic Habits is a book written by American writer and public speaker, James Clear.

It’s natural for humans to be creatures of habit, and I for one fall into this demographic of people. 

I can’t speak for everyone but being a ‘creature of habit’  for me can look like only performing the habits that bring me the most joy, completing the tasks I’ve always done, and practicing the same routine I always have. 

My daily routine can vary from day to day, but on a typical day, it looks like this: starting my day early, creating a to-do list for everything, completing those tasks promptly, and sprinkling in a couple of breaks throughout the day.

I have fallen into this cycle because my mind has conditioned me to ‘do what I have always done.’ This routine works for me because it’s always been my nature to function this way. However, it’s not the most efficient, and there are ways to modify it without having to create drastic changes to my life. 

According to American speaker and writer James Clear, these are his five steps to effectively build new habits, pulled directly from his book Atomic Habits. 

1. Start with an incredibly small habit. 

By adding small changes to your life, you can steer your mindset away from “I can’t do this” to “I can do it if I try.” It won’t be easy but when it comes to motivation, it comes in waves—use it to the best of your abilities. 

For example, one of my goals this year is to drink more water. Instead of drinking copious amounts all at once, I space it out throughout the day.

Which is what leads us to Clear’s next step. 

1. Increase your habit in very small ways. 

In “The Power of Tiny Gains” James talks about how the power of one percent adds up a lot quicker than you think. Regardless of how much you improve, changing your habits on a small scale will make more of a difference than you’d expect. 

Referring back to my goal of becoming more hydrated, it’s because I space out my water breaks that I can drink around 48 ounces of water every day. After doing this, you can then break up this habit into chunks so that it becomes easier to practice. This is Clear’s next step. 

What may work for you may not work for others and vice versa, which is why consistency is everything when getting the results that you worked so hard for. 

1. As you build up, break habits into chunks. 

Building off of these small habits will help you reach your goals promptly and keep you from losing motivation. Additionally, you are improving yourself by one percent each day. 

When I drink 48 ounces of water per day, I try to drink 24 ounces every 12 hours. This habit has been working so far, but, for someone who struggles with consistency, it doesn’t always work in my favor. This is why staying consistent is equally as critical as catching yourself when you fall, Clear’s 4th step. 

1. When you slip, get back on track quickly. 

Recognize where you went wrong and why, and then make a plan for how to prevent it from happening again. Understand what is hindering your ability to stay consistent and be honest with how your progress is going. 

If I’m not drinking enough water, it’s usually because of other “distractions” that are causing it. Either my meals aren’t balanced correctly, I’m not getting enough movement, or maybe I’m just dehydrated. In these situations, I pick one issue to solve and go from there. 

And finally, Clear says to make sure to go at the speed that you can handle.  

1. Be patient and stick to a pace you can sustain. 

Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing. It’s much easier said than done, but it’s necessary to recognize what skill level you’re at and how to make your habits adjustable to you. What may work for you may not work for others and vice versa, which is why consistency is everything when getting the results that you worked so hard for. 

If you would like to learn more about building effective habits, check out the website where I learned all this information. 

https://jamesclear.com/habit-guide