My top 5 True Crime Youtubers keep me intrigued

Thumbnail of one of Rotten Mango’s videos
Stephanie Soo

Each day after school I like to grab my snack curl up on the couch with my dog and my phone and watch one of my favorite true crime YouTubers. I find myself infatuated with the forensic world and mostly the psychological way murderers’ or criminals’ minds work. Criminals like: Jeffery Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, The Golden State Killer, The Unibomber, all these criminals’ stories are so incredibly intriguing to see the way a serial killer thinks and the rationale behind their actions. 

So True crime girls look no further, to ensure I don’t gatekeep these banks of criminal knowledge, I’ve found my top 5 true crime YouTubers that you can enjoy with me now too.

A recent find has been “EWU or explore with us”, the channel is dedicated to all things mystery, including unsolved cold cases, true crime, and a lot more. My favorite aspect of this channel is it shows never-before-seen footage and breaks down interviews and the psychology behind even your physical movements. The channel does a great job of breaking down the interviews with police and getting professional psychologists to analyze the footage. Sometimes things such as lip compressions are seen as a guilty movement along with so many other subconscious movements we don’t think about that could end up getting a killer caught.

Eleanor Neale is another one of my favorites because of her soothing voice and her British accent, what can I say I could listen to British people talk all day. Eleanor tends to cover lots of United Kingdom cases but will still often talk about other cases, her channel is so fun and I love to put Eleanor’s videos on when I’m feeling a little lonely as she gives me a sisterly presence. Each Friday she’ll release an episode that’s a part of her series called Freaky Friday where she covers some gruesome cases. Eleanor also has cats in the background of her videos sometimes which who doesn’t love cats? Check out her channel if you want a comfy vibe while you learn about serial killers.

what can I say I could listen to British people talk all day.

Hailey Elizabeth also has a really comfy sister vibe to her channel and she never fails to brighten my day when she lets her personality shine through her research. Her background is literally so aesthetic I want my room to look like hers, sometimes in her older videos she’ll be doing her makeup which is super soothing and gives you some visual stimulation while you’re listening along too. She covers everything from true crime ranging from murders, disappearances, cults, conspiracy theories, and occasionally Mandela effects. 

“Rotten Mango” is another recent find, Stephanie Soo has multiple channels but RM is my personal go-to. RM usually covers a lot of foreign cases that we don’t usually hear about and some of them I will warn can be very heartbreaking to listen to, yet Stephanie is still able to make the videos light-hearted and entertaining, she has a very dedicated team of researchers and translators so you know the information is accurate. Stephanie sits in front of the camera with her husband who remains faceless behind the camera so it really feels like you’re having a conversation.

“Buzzfeed Unsolved Network” is a classic the brotherly bickering between Sean and Ryan is so funny and makes the otherwise grim video easier to watch. Ryan is the one narrating and reading their notes meanwhile Sean will make witty remarks and silly comments to interrupt Ryan and it just feels like two siblings bantering. Now “Buzzfeed Unsolved Network” covers a lot of topics including the supernatural which is also worth checking out, but the “Buzzfeed Unsolved True Crime” series is what I’m focusing on. Sean and Ryan’s videos are rather doomy as they cover Unsolved cases so the videos rarely have a happy ending.