Big Girls Don’t Cry

“Big Girls Don’t Cry”

-Fergie

The soundtrack that accompanies my long hours at work has a couple of weird songs, a couple of oldies, a couple of serious jams, and a couple of songs that simply make me ask, “Why?” But after only a few weeks, the music faded into the background, drowned out by a sea of customers.

Until a few nights ago when there was a moment of silence between phone calls and questions, and I heard one line. “…big girls don’t cry.”

I’m a big girl. I cry.

In fact, I cry way more now than I did as a little girl. And for entirely different reasons, too. As a child, tears were the product of a tumble down the stairs (or out of a tree), or a fall while running around with the dog. Physical pain. Now, though, tears don’t stream down my face when I stub a toe but when I hear a nasty rumor. My body is wracked with sobs not because I hit my head, but because someone hit my heart.

And sometimes the tears come for no reason at all. They’re just a release. A way to let out every ounce of pent-up hurt and anger and pain and frustration. But that doesn’t make them pointless. Without those moments of teary release, I’d likely be a patient at an institution.

A few weeks ago, I made a comment to one of my freshman friends that kids here cry a lot in high school. She may not have believed me at first, but I wasn’t surprised when she came to me about a week ago and said, “I get it now.” With the pressures of maturity comes the release of tears.

I only heard that one line, “…big girls don’t cry,” before the phone started up again. But that line really stuck with me.

When I first heard it, I viewed it in a very negative light. Everyone should feel the right to every single one of their emotions. But then I listened to the song. I found that I identified with it in a whole other way. In context, the line isn’t necessarily a negative one. It isn’t saying girls shouldn’t be emotional; it’s the singer’s personal need to be strong, to move on, and to get past the tears. However, I still stand by my firm belief in the cleansing power of tears.

“Big Girls Don’t Cry”

-Fergie

Ashlyn Korpak, Managing Editor of Assignments

Ashlyn Korpak is a junior and entering her third year on The Central Trend. Ashlyn is thrilled for another year of The Central Trend. She does track, rides horses and loves to read. Her favorite kind of writing is columns and editorials.

• Favorite part of being on staff: Getting to write and meet new people.
  • Favorite type of story: Editorials and columns.
  • Hobbies/interests: Track, horseback riding and reading.
  • Favorite Book and why: I have no idea there are way too many to pick from!
  • Its Friday night, you will usually find Ashlyn: Hanging out with friends, or watching Netflix