Hannah Duprey has grown through crew

Senior Hannah Duprey, member of the FHC crew team.

In the midst of a tsunami-like torrential downpour, senior Hannah Duprey was shown what crew was all about—not only in terms of ability but also camaraderie. 

“Some people were [rowing] back because they noticed how dark the clouds got,” Hannah said. “I think it [helped us bond] because it was terrifying, but also funny at the same time. It also happened our freshman year, so it was just these little freshmen not knowing what was happening.”

A sport as intricate and involved as crew has no lack of motivating moments such as this one, and throughout Hannah’s past four years of rowing, this lesson has been proven to her time and time again. Starting this journey her freshman year, Hannah has changed a lot; however, her connections with others on her team have managed to change even more. 

“I definitely would say [my favorite part of crew is] all of the friendships that you make,” Hannah said. “I feel like our bond [as a team] has gotten better. I would say the team was cliquey our freshman year, but going into senior year I think we’ve all just become one big group.”

I definitely would say [my favorite part of crew is] all of the friendships that you make. I feel like our bond [as a team] has gotten better. I would say the team was cliquey our freshman year, but going into senior year I think we’ve all just become one big group.

— Hannah Duprey

Especially spending four years with a select few individuals, overcoming adversities and accomplishing the impossible together, crew has allowed Hannah to reach a whole new level of confidence and strength, alongside friends exuding the same level of perseverance. 

Despite the extent that crew has strengthened her bonds with her teammates, an unbeatable relationship she has also developed throughout high school is that which she has with her two cats: Rosie and Max.

“I love [hanging] out with my cats,” Hannah said. “A funny story with Max is [when] he learned that with our front door, if we don’t latch it, he can push it open and get outside. So one day, I was walking down my stairs and then all of a sudden I [noticed] Max chilling out in [my] front yard.”

As big a part of her life as both of her cats are, it’s no surprise that leaving them behind will be one of the most difficult aspects of graduating. Of course, no matter what, the ceremony will be a conflicting and bittersweet occasion for Hannah.

“I have mixed feelings about [graduating],” Hannah said. “I think it’s gonna be sad. I’m definitely kind of scared for next year because that’s a big step, and [being] away from home [is scary to think about]. But I’m also happy because I’m finally done.”

Leaving behind high school is a challenge for anyone in the graduating class, however, it will be the most heartbreaking for Hannah to leave behind her crew family. Entering a business major at Central Michigan she is leaving her crew talents in the boats of FHC, and as the most fulfilling part of her high school experience, that will be a huge adjustment. 

Above all, Hannah is grateful that FHC Crew has given her such an enriching experience and opportunity to connect with her classmates and grow in general as an individual.

“[My favorite memories from high school] I think in general [have been] all the fun adventures that I’ve been able to go on because of all the friends I have made [on the crew team]. I definitely think [crew] is something people should do because it makes memories and a lot of the friends I have made are from the team.”