The auditions for Clue showcase the talent within the FHC theater

fhc_theatre

The announcement for the fall play on the theater program’s Instagram account, fhc_theatre.

This fall, a family-favorite board game will fall off of closet shelves and onto the stage of the FHC auditorium. It is no mystery that Clue will be the next big hit of the theater program, but the unknowns are the castings of the characters that will be brought to life by the student experts of the theater program.

Fortunately, the plays at FHC don’t require a detective to be accessible; being both an audience member and a cast member are open opportunities to any student. On November 10 through 12 in the FHC auditorium, each student will showcase their talent for acting or be enraptured in the mystery that Clue will bring to the stage. Theater teacher Robbin DeMeester is looking forward to the variety that such a genre will introduce.

“Even if you haven’t played the game, people are familiar with the characters,” DeMeester said. “It’s got a different killer every night, [which] adds a little twist so that people won’t really know what’s going on from night to night.”

While the play itself will indubitably be thrilling, the preparations for it may be even more suspenseful. Just as it would be in professional productions, the FHC theater has auditions for each role that will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 3:00 p.m. in the auditorium with signups outside room 103. Thankfully, the dynamic is very laid back; support and encouragement is the most important piece.

No prior experience is needed either, as high school is the time to try new things and get involved wherever possible. The production of Clue makes this especially simple as the tryouts are short and sweet.

“Auditions are very easy,” DeMeester said. “You don’t have to prepare anything; you don’t have to have any previous experience. You just come, probably do some improve games [to] get everyone relaxed and having fun, and then do a ‘cold read’ from the script.”

The success of an audition all comes down to who puts forth their best effort and shows their passion for what they are doing. Although being familiar with the theatrical environment is certainly helpful, it is not the sole determining factor in who receives what role.

Student director senior Ashley Yarnell has seen many auditions herself as a longtime member of the stage crew at FHC. Everyone has their unique style, but there are all-encompassing traits that are sought out.

“I definitely notice if they have a lot of confidence,” Ashley said. “How they present themselves on stage [is important]. The icebreakers we do will show us what kind of a person that is, and that normally helps.”

Despite the fact that a large group of students have already signed up for auditions, it is still more than worth it to audition for some sort of role or get involved through the stage crew.

The roles vary in size, so there is a good fit for everybody. All aspects require some degree of commitment, but for those who have more or less time that can be dedicated to theater, there are characters and roles of corresponding size.

Even if you don’t get a part, it still helps you prepare for the next year because it makes you feel more confident on the stage if you’ve never auditioned.

— Ashley Yarnell

“I would say [to audition],” Ashley said. “Even if you don’t get a part, it still helps you prepare for the next year because it makes you feel more confident on the stage if you’ve never auditioned.”

Even though getting the part from an audition is the goal of most actors, lots of learning goes on during the audition and while getting into character. Each new play is a new opportunity for both seasoned actors and people who are new to the stage.

Director and FHC alumnus Kyle Black is confident that the students will gain knowledge from their time in Clue and that they will be able to showcase their skills. In the past, the students have captured the audience’s attention and will once again do so in a whirlwind of mystery and comedy.

“At FHC, we teach educational theater while challenging our cast/crew members to put on something more than they thought possible,” Black said. “The students of FHC are capable of great things and they never cease to amaze me. They always step up to any challenge thrown at them. We encourage all students at FHC to get involved. Theater is not just for stage actors; there is something in the arts for everyone to express their creative side.”

The play and auditions are exciting, but hard work is necessary throughout the entire production process for cast and crew members. Fortunately, the fall play Clue will give everyone the opportunity to applaud the actors for their hard work.

Anyone is welcome and encouraged to attend the production of Clue to support FHC’s theater program and each individual actor’s personal performance. The event is one that is not to miss; whether you know the actors or not, the play is sure to be stunning.

“If you’re looking for an entertaining night out filled with loads of energy then this show is a must-see,” Black said. “The show will consist of a Madcap, slapstick evening full of murder, mystery, and laughs as the characters seek to discover the culprit.  Not only will you have a great time getting lost in the world of the classic characters and trying to piece together the whodunit mystery, but you will also support FHC theater and help build upon this remarkable program.”