The newly opened BJ’s is certain to be a favorite

Emalea Rooke
BJ’s, located near Krispy Kreme at the mall, is the newest restaurant in the area.

Over the past few months, a new building has arisen beside Chick-fil-A on the corner of 28th Street and the Beltline. This new building, flooded with windows and a warm color palette, belongs to BJ’s–the newest restaurant to grace the Shops at CenterPointe.

BJ’s is a chain brewhouse that specializes in Californian-style deep-dish pizza. It was founded in 1978 and has continued to grow; BJ’s possesses locations all over the nation–from California to New York and many places in between. 

Now that BJ’s has entered our own little corner of the world, it was my honor to enter such a beautiful space.

The outside of BJ’s is huge and homely with a revolving door in front and an outside patio wrapping around the edges of the building. However, it wasn’t the exterior of this restaurant that delighted me—it was what awaited inside.

As soon as I reached the entrance, an eager host was there to greet me and open the door as I walked in. He was incredibly modest and respectful and so were his coworkers, who smiled and beamed at every customer.

I was seated quickly, especially for being there on opening day, and my server was prompt to arrive at my table. Immediately, she asked if I would like a glass of water and explained the menu to me in case I had never been to a BJ’s location. 

As soon as I reached the entrance, an eager host was there to greet me and open the door as I walked in.

While I sat and looked at the menu—which features a wide variety of foods from salmon dishes to soba noodles—I also took notice of the décor and environment of the restaurant. The huge windows provided an ample amount of natural lighting, and warm-toned fixtures adorned the spaces above each table, creating a glowy, crisp effect. 

BJ’s was decorated with unique art on many walls, emphasizing the comforting feeling I was receiving from the space. The dining area was very open and did not feel congested, providing me with relief as I am quite anti-people at dinnertime.

For those who enjoy sports bars, BJ’s furnished their walls with the perfect number of televisions that each play a sports channel. And for those who don’t, the televisions go unnoticed unless you are intentionally seeking them out.

After inspecting every crevice of the restaurant for quirky adornments, I finally put in my order. When the food arrived, it was presented on tin platters that gave off a rustic vibe, adding, once again, to the comforting ambiance of BJ’s. The food itself was warm and ready to eat, and I was happy to dive in almost immediately.

While I’m not a pizza person, BJ’s is famed for its deep dish for a reason—the crust is unmistakably puffy and warm, the perfect texture for a deep dish, and the toppings are not overdone. I would recommend trying “The Great White,” which is a chicken and mushroom pizza with white sauce.

My meal of choice, the “Italian Chicken Parmigiana Pasta” (Chicken Parmesan), could arguably be one of the best dishes on BJ’s menu. I enjoy a simple yet filling meal, and the chicken parmesan gives me exactly that. This dish is also flauntingly flavorful; the tomato sauce is creamy with a tang, and the seasoning on the chicken offers a savory, warm taste.

BJ’s offers some wonderful appetizers that can serve as an entrée themselves, like the “Burger Sliders.” I paired this dish with the “Mozzarella Sticks,” which had perfectly stretchy cheese that indicated a flawless cook.

For dessert devotees, BJ’s offers their famous “Pizookie,” a combination of a cookie and a pizza. Each Pizookie is baked to perfection and mounted with thoughtfully selected toppings and ice cream. BJ’s comes out with a specialty Pizookie every once in a while, like the Spooky Pizookie for Halloween, so there will always be the promise of a new flavor in the future.

BJ’s, being a brewhouse, also serves alcoholic beverages, but for those who can’t drink, like me, their mocktails are a great substitute. One mocktail in particular, “Strawberry Dream,” which my server recommended, caught my attention when I dined in. It is described as “a mocktail to remember,” which is proved by the whimsical, bubbly taste that fizzled across my tongue.

A meal with an appetizer, entrée, and dessert will bring the bill to around $40 to $60, which can be pricey for some budgets, but the experience is worth the money. I was happy to learn that on opening night, BJ’s donated 20% of their sales to nonprofit organizations like The Revive, Thrive Project, and Crash’s Landing, revealing the giving nature of the company.

BJ’s may be new, but it is already proving to be a great addition to the community. From the friendly staff to the all-encompassing menu, this brewhouse procures an atmosphere of homely welcome that emanates comfort to every customer that comes in.