‘Tis the season at Starbucks—this year’s holiday menu is merrier than ever

Ella Peirce
Pictures of each holiday item I tried, except the Peppermint Mocha, which I forgot to photograph.

I’m currently living life with an extreme case of tunnel vision.

Every warm-toned leaf on the ground, I cannot see. Every sign advertising pumpkin spice, I avoid. Every mention of Thanksgiving, I don’t hear.

Because, according to Starbucks, it’s the holiday season, and the world should look like a picture-perfect Christmas-esque snow globe. 

I pretend the green grass doesn’t exist as I leave the drive-thru, holding a red and green cup in each hand.

As a Starbucks enthusiast who counted down the days until I could order the holiday drinks again, here are my opinions on each fantastically festive item.

Iced Gingerbread Oatmilk Chai Latte

This was the drink I chose to begin this season with, and what a wonderful choice it was. It tastes heavenly. The first few sips were rather overpowered by the cold foam, which I don’t mind at all. The further I got, the more chai flavor I was able to taste. The sweetness of the gingerbread and the spice of the chai enhanced one another while simultaneously blending into one flavor: holiday cheer. This drink is delightful in every way, and I will without a doubt be ordering it again.

The sweetness of the gingerbread and the spice of the chai enhanced one another while simultaneously blending into one flavor: holiday cheer.

Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte

I always feel a bit embarrassed when someone asks me what I’m drinking and I say, “Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte” without missing a beat. It’s not that long of a title, but it sure feels like it when I’m asked to verbalize my order. This drink tastes like home to me. It was first released in 2021, and since then, I yearn for this drink when it’s not being sold. The drink is made with blonde espresso, which I love and get year-round. I wouldn’t go as far as to say the drink tastes exactly like a sugar cookie, but it’s certainly as sweet as one; the red and green sprinkles on top are my favorite finishing touch. To add another level to this drink, add Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam, or even Sugar Cookie Cold Foam to be completely and utterly immersed in the flavor.

Peppermint Mocha

Normally, I exclusively get drinks iced, but this is a classic that I believe should be drunk hot. Additionally, I would like to alert the public that peppermint is a year-round flavor at Starbucks, so do with that information what you will. To me, all hot drinks taste very similar at their scalding temperature. However, the peppermint flavor is still able to shine through. I may have burnt my tongue, but the chocolate and mint combination flavor is so incredible that I don’t even mind.

Gingerbread Loaf

I went to Starbucks to experience an environment filled with holiday cheer despite the lack of winter conditions, and as my hopes were fulfilled, I snacked on a Gingerbread Loaf. It was exactly what I expected, and my expectations were high. It had the same texture as all the other loaves, and it tasted like gingerbread. In my opinion—I feel this way about all the loaves—the icing on top is unbearably sweet. Luckily, my mom who often accompanies me to Starbucks is willing to bear the responsibility of eating the icing for me, so it’s not too large of a hindrance.

Snowman Cookie

This is a very basic treat that’s been on their holiday menu for a while now. The shortbread is just sweet enough, and the icing on top adds to that to make it the perfect, simple dessert that isn’t overbearing in any aspect. And, the design is very cute; I (almost) felt bad eating the snowman’s head off.

Peppermint Brownie Cake Pop

In late September, I saw a video on Instagram leaking the holiday menu, and this treat enticed me the most. I love brownies, and I tolerate peppermint, so I assumed I would love this. The peppermint pieces on the outside are extremely crunchy, contrasting with the extremely chewy brownie inside. This paired wonderfully with the Peppermint Mocha. Although I enjoyed it, I prefer their other cake pops, and most likely will not order this again.

As I blissfully ignore Thanksgiving and embrace the holiday season, I cannot wait to fill my November and December with this variety of festive and merry options at Starbucks.