It’s about loving the locals: a few local shops worth visiting

Alysse Calabio
A photo of my meal from Brown Butter Cafe that I loved eating.

Spring: a symbol of change, a time for budding and blooming flowers, a chance for the cold to melt away to something warmer. With each passing day, we come closer and closer to being reunited with the warmer weather and colorful flowers that Spring promises, and as each passing day brings us closer to such a time, I find myself wanting more and more to go out.

As much as I love visiting the mall to try on and look at items that are probably way out of my budget, there are only so many times I can visit a store before I begin to feel disengaged and apathetic toward the items sold. For that reason, I have come to really enjoy searching for and trying out smaller, more local businesses. Not only does it help to support these smaller businesses but it also serves as a nice change in scenery—one that may be especially needed from time to time.

Le Bon Macaron:

One of the first cafes I visited when I first moved here was Le Bon Macaron, and ever since I have absolutely loved going back and bringing some friends. Through the cafe, it is trying to bring a piece of France to Michigan; while I cannot attest to if their cafe is truly what the cafes in France are like, the atmosphere and general look are what I like to imagine they’d look like.

It also helps that they have some really cute seating. On either side of the cafe, the seating consists of breakfast nook type of seating with a little flower on each table, which I found to be absolutely adorable.

As the name implies, the primary item that they sell is macarons. They have a good variety of macaron flavors, and their coffees and teas are delicious. The presentation of the food and drinks is also so cute. 

Overall, I think that it’s such a charming, quiet place to either sit down and study at or simply bring your friends to grab a sweet treat.

Brown Butter Cafe:

With each passing day, we come closer and closer to being reunited with the warmer weather and colorful flowers that Spring promises, and each passing day brings us closer to such a time, I find myself wanting more and more to go out.

Another delightful cafe that I love to eat at is Brown Butter Cafe. Just walking up to the building, it is hard for it not to catch your eye: the building itself has the appearance of a cute windmill connected to a greenhouse. The appearance alone had really attracted me towards the building, and walking into the building that feeling only continued. 

Inside, there are flowers all over and sunlight streaming in from the greenhouse-style windows—all of it contributing to a very calming, delicate atmosphere. The day I went was sunny but still a little windy, so the layout allowed me to feel the sun while also staying warm.

As for the food, I really enjoyed my meal. My friend and I split a crepe and a waffle, both of which I thought were delicious and ranged between $10 and $20. If dietary restrictions are of concern, it offers vegan and gluten-free options for anyone who may desire it. 

The only problem I can see is that, since it is a small place, there are only so many seats, so there may be a little bit of a wait to be seated depending on the time you go.

Overall, it’s a quaint place that lives up to all cute cafe expectations.

Books & Mortars:

If after all of that food, you’re looking for a place to relax and find a new book, Books & Mortars Bookshop is a little bookshop I would recommend. If there was one word I would use to describe the shop it would be cozy. Around the store, there are a few places for you to sit down and get a head start on your book, and the decor is very homey, with hanging lights and plants.

While their selection of books may not be the biggest I’ve seen, it still has a decently wide selection of books to browse through—especially relating to topics of diversity and social issues. Even so, if there is a specific book that you’re looking for, the staff there have no problem ordering it for you.

In the meantime, while you’re browsing through, the store has little notes written by the staff highlighting reasons why they like that particular book to help you decide if that book would be your perfect match. 

This store has become one of my favorite bookstores to simply walk around and find a new book I may not have known about.

As a whole, finding these quaint stores has become something I’ve come to truly love. All of them have become places that I love taking my friends and family—they offer a momentary escape to a calmer atmosphere. They have all become places I would recommend everyone try at least once.