Karsen Diepholz: Aiming High

The sun is just beginning to rise over the city of Colorado Springs at the United States Air Force Academy.  A young man puts on his uniform of navy blue and prepares for a day of rigorous academics and military training.  When darkness reaches, the young man goes to bed smiling from ear to ear.

These are the dreams of senior Karsen Diepholz.

Karsen made the decision to join the Air Force as a junior in high school.  Growing up, Karsen did not think that serving in the Air Force would be an option for him.  However, when he discussed attending a military academy with former student Zac Hoiles, who is currently studying at United States Military Academy in West Point, New York, he thought differently.

“[Zac] told me his experience applying and it seemed like something I could do.  So, I decided to go for it,” Karsen said.

Zac was not Karsen’s only inspiration for wanting to join the Air Force.  It was also his grandfather, who served in World War II.  Listening to his grandfather’s stories about flying with the Air Force has had a huge impact on Karsen and inspired him to take a leap and follow his footsteps. Karsen was also inspired by his uncle who served in the military as well.

Karsen’s mother, Kate Diepholz, also played a role in Karsen’s decision to join the Air Force.  Mrs. Diepholz, who is now a stay-at-home mom, used to work in aerospace engineering.  Her career included travels to Europe to work on airplane engines to figure out how to make them faster, better, and more efficient.

“I loved my job,” Mrs. Diepholz said.  “[I] talked about it often, so I do think it could’ve had some impact on Karsen.”

Karsen’s love for airplanes and flying began at a very young age.  His parents picked it up and even signed him up for flying lessons where he was in control of a small aircraft at the age of fourteen.

“[Karsen used to sit] in the window seat and was fascinated by every aspect of the flight,” said Ingo Diepholz, Karsen’s father. “Take off, gliding through the clouds, and landing all captured his attention.”

Mrs. Diepholz also explained that since Karsen was a small boy, he has been fascinated by anything that flies.  Every time they would travel by plane for vacations, Karsen would “bombard” the family with questions as to how it all worked.

A huge characteristic that an airman must obtain is leadership.  Karsen has been swimming competitively for ten years, is an all state swimmer, and has become an accomplished drummer in band.

“[Karsen] leads by example in a quiet, confident way,” said Mrs. Diepholz.  “By sticking to his morals and values, he demonstrates to others what it means to persevere and succeed.  Kids seem to be drawn to him and respect his opinion.”

Mr. Diepholz also explained that although Karsen does not have a “boisterous” personality, he manages to lead his swim team as captain and leads his lane and strives to make each workout count.  Mr. Diepholz also said that Karsen has the “drive and focus to accomplish his goals.”

It is Karsen’s dream to study and train at United States Air Force Academy.  However, if that does not work out, Karsen would like to be a part of an ROTC program at one of the colleges he has also applied to including Boston University and Illinois Institute of Technology.

“I knew Karsen had long wanted to attend the [United States Air Force Academy],” said Rick Bolhuis, who is Karsen’s school counselor and has been helping him with the application process. “[It is my job to help with] catching deadlines and [provide] accurate information to the agencies that are making the decision.”

Bolhuis continued to explain that the application process to the Academy has many more steps than a traditional college or university.  As well as completing the academic components of the application, the student must also submit a physical fitness exam.  Also, the student applying must apply for a nomination to attend the Academy from a U.S. Senator or Representative.

“One of the main reasons I really want to go [the Academy] is because of the college experience combined with military training,” Karsen said.  “I feel like it would build a lot of leadership and character as opposed to a regular college.”

Karsen is strongly talented in math and has a love for physics.  Wherever Karsen ends up in the next year, he would like to dual major in both physics and aerospace engineering.  After that, he would like to go to graduate school and earn a Ph.D. in astrophysics as well as serve in the Air Force for twenty years.  After Karsen serves his time in the Air Force, he would like to work in a research based job of astrophysics or help out with Air Force in some shape or form.

“[You’re either] creative or math based,” Karsen said. “Somehow, I goth the math gene from my parents.”

Karsen is described as a loyal, hardworking, and goal-oriented son by his father.  Mr. Diepholz also says that Karsen has a “servant’s heart” and is outgoing.

“I’m a bit biased,” Mrs. Diepholz said, “but I think [Karsen] is a kind, compassionate, confident, faith-filled, and driven person.  God has big plans for this young man and many others will be positively influenced by his presence.”

Karsen always wants to have a smile on his face doing something he loves to do. He wants to be looked at as an accomplished, driven, and successful person.

“I will always remember that this is what I’ve wanted to do,” Karsen said.  “I will never be discouraged by a bad grade or a late night.  I just want to remember that this is what I’ve always wanted to do and I want to always be happy when I have a tough job to [finish].”

Karsen continues to explain that he wants to be there for people when they set their mind to something because he wants them to follow their dreams too.

“I just want people to think of me as a leader,” Karsen said.  “I want to remind [people] that they can do anything they put their mind to.  I want them to know that I think they can be or do whatever they want to do and do what they love.”