Ranger JV Football Rushing Attack leads to big win over Ottawa Hills

The Rangers JV football rushing attack, lead by Sophomores Cam Deines and Luke Majick, ran for 37 points in an overwhelming win against the Ottawa Hills Bengals. Deines, scoring his first touchdown with only 2:11 off the clock, took in his final score of the evening deep into the third quarter.

Ottawa Hills struggled to get the offense rolling at all. It took all of the first half, and most of the third quarter, for the Bengals to get a first down on the offensive side of the football. Fumbles, turnovers, and a mere 22% on third down tonight plagued the Bengals offense.

The Ranger defense was no slouch, however, forcing three turnovers throughout the night. Not only did the Rangers put constant pressure on Bengals quarterback Jason Wells, they put pressure on the entire offensive unit, especially an injured offensive line. Sophomores Josh Uekert and Jay Shields with an interception apiece, both had big games.

4th down was also dominated by the Rangers tonight. Three sacks coming on 4th down kept the Rangers full of energy. Sophomore Kyle Collar had a momentum shifting sack to force a turnover, later leading to points for the Ranger offense.

On top of the rushing attack by Deines and Majick, sophomore Noah Stout added to the act tonight, contributing a touchdown of his own. Head Coach Ty Hallock was impressed with his team’s execution.

“I think more than anything else, just some good execution and effort,” Coach Hallock said. “At the end of the day, our guys are organized. They get to know and understand the concepts we are trying to teach them, and it really showed today. We were able to run the ball pretty well, and only have a little to work on in the passing game. Special teams was a lot better today, so the guys are learning and we are happy with the execution side of it.”

Quarterback, Luke Majick, was also impressed with the effort of his team tonight.

“We really hustled hard, never gave up,” Luke said. “The game got chippy at the end, but collectively we were able to keep our heads on straight, focused on our own game. We only went three and out once or twice, so we were really happy with that performance.”

As good as the Rangers offensive night went, it wasn’t perfect. A touchdown called back, and many other penalties are a big point of emphasis for the Rangers, as they take on the Greenville Yellow Jackets next week. Running back Cam Deines reiterated these words.

“Penalties are a much needed improvement, we had some touchdowns called back and those can be big against good teams,” Deines said. “But we’re excited, everyone is having fun and we’re just grinding it out.”

Coach Hallock later talked about his optimistic outlook for the tough schedule ahead.

“The goal is to win every single game, we’re 3-0 and we should be feeling pretty good,” Hallock said.  “It’s always good to get a win, but don’t kid yourself, the next couple of weeks against Greenville, Northview and Forest Hills Northern, we have some games that we’re really going to have to play. Certainly from my perspective being an alumni there, I would love to stick it to them. We have to hunker down and get ready for this competition starting with Greenville next week.”