With some alterations, the 2021 Homecoming dance returns

Jadelin Hinkel

Each grade level proudly holds their hand-made banner

Sophomore Class President Lucy Wu has never had the opportunity to go to a Homecoming dance, even though she’s in her second year of high school.

Due to the COVID-19 virus, many events, including school dances, have been canceled for the safety of students and staff. However, with the release of the COVID-19 vaccines, the 2021-2022 school year will see Homecoming festivities and most importantly, a Homecoming dance.

“It was a pretty big disappointment last year,” Lucy said, “but, that makes this year all the more exciting, even though there are some restrictions. Since [it’s our first] first Homecoming, we’re doubly excited.”

Since 2019 was the most recent Homecoming dance because of FHC’s shut down due to the pandemic, it has been a while since the current juniors and seniors have attended a dance, as well.

Understandably, the sophomores this year are more than enthusiastic about making the journey back to normalcy, and that is beginning with the Homecoming dance.

“I think that it’s still pretty exciting, despite the fact that it’s a split dance and it’s outdoors,” Lucy said. “I think it’ll be cool to see everyone with their dates, dressed up, and hanging out with friends.”

Though the Homecoming dance has finally returned, it too has been affected by the pandemic. To limit the number of students in attendance at the dance, there will be two dances: one for freshmen and sophomores and a second one for juniors and seniors. On Saturday evening, the freshmen and sophomores will have their dance on the football field from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m., and the juniors and seniors will meet at the stadium from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. to enjoy their condensed Homecoming. 

This isn’t exactly what most students envisioned when picturing the perfect Homecoming dance. History teacher Brad Anderson is glad that school festivities are back in swing, but surely acknowledged issues that come along with having a dance while a pandemic is still prevalent.

It’s a double-edged sword—we get to have the dance, which is great, but obviously, there are going to be folks that are unhappy with the fact that it’s sophomores and freshmen from 7:30 to 9:00 and juniors and seniors from 9:30 to 11:00.

— Brad Anderson

“It’s a double-edged sword,” Anderson said. “We get to have the dance, which is great, but obviously, there are going to be folks that are unhappy with the fact that it’s sophomores and freshmen from 7:30 to 9:00 and juniors and seniors from 9:30 to 11:00. I know that throws a cramp into your plans if you are taking someone from a different class, and there are no students [outside of FHC] who are able to attend.”

Anderson understands exactly why this decision was made.

“That is a decision that was made at the district-wide level for the safety of all students,” Anderson said. “Quite frankly, I understand it because if there were, for any reason, an instance where we had to know who was there, and who was by who, it would be a nightmare for our administrators.”

Despite the restrictions, members of the senior class are thankful that they can at least have a Homecoming dance. Student council president, senior Roman Kalaczinski, is looking forward to the dances that have had the student council on their feet all month, despite the classes being separated.

“Having the Homecoming dance back [isn’t] completely normal, but it’s definitely better than the circumstances that we were under last year,” Roman said. “[If I’m] being one-hundred percent honest, once you get to the dance, you don’t notice the people you’re around as much. Personally, I think that having a more tight-knit group of students that are in a closer grade level might be something that’s kind of enjoyable.”

Altogether, students at FHC should certainly not underestimate this year’s Homecoming dance—the few restrictions will most likely just be a small switch-up from the usual structure.

“I don’t think that once you get to the dance there will be a huge difference in experience,” Roman said. “Just go and have a good time. It’s not completely normal, but it’s better than the other option, which is no dance at all.”