Boys JV tennis falls to FHN in a hard-fought match

Tommy Spaletto

More stories from Tommy Spaletto

Ally Francisco
May 22, 2020
Kelsey Toole
May 17, 2020
Aspen Strauss
April 29, 2020
Ella Kelly
April 24, 2020

The Rangers JV tennis team took on cross-district rival FHN in what was a very even match last night. The team performed very well despite the outcome, as the majority of the team is made up of freshmen. The Rangers lost their first two doubles, then proceeded to win their next two to even things. Despite tying in the doubles, the rest of the Ranger team couldn’t pull through for the win. FHC heads up to Rockford Saturday morning for the annual Rockford Invite, in what is sure to be a series of hard-fought matches.

The most exciting sets were the first four sets, as the Rangers and Huskies ended up splitting 2-2. The first doubles match featured FHC’s freshmen Leo Treash and Hezekiah Lane, which was a very hard-fought match but ended up as a loss 8-2. The next doubles match was even better, and it featured sophomore Aidan O’Meara and junior Jannis Jacobs. FHC fought hard again but found themselves down 2-0 already as Aidan and Jannis lost 8-5. But things turned around when junior Shane Hubble and freshman Devon Holcome picked up a win 8-4, followed by another win by sophomores Sam Cooper and Eli Romijn 8-4.

This was a good test for a young FHC team, as Northern will be one of the Rangers’ toughest opponents. The biggest key for FHC will be having the freshman adapt to playing at a higher level and against older players. If this can happen, look for this team to put up impressive numbers all season long.