Dunkin’ Donuts on 28th Street falls flat in its final hours

Like many of my fellow high school peers, I have a caffeine addiction. An affinity for coffee might be a more pleasant way to phrase it, but nonetheless, it remains a present and driving factor in my busy, academic life.

Also, like many other high schoolers, I do not possess an unlimited amount of money with which to fulfill my coffee needs. Sure, I would like to go a small, local coffee shop and purchase an artisan latte, but those can be pricey, and the multiple trips add up.

This is the very reason why I intermittently find myself at some of the bigger coffee chains. Starbucks and Biggby are staples, but there is one “name brand,” so to speak, that I rarely frequent: Dunkin’ Donuts.

I had heard through friends that the Cascade addition to the large company, located on 28th street, would be closing down soon. I decided I would venture out there, so I could take a stance on how I felt about the store closing its doors for the very last time.

By the time my car had pulled into the parking lot, my head was already pounding, signaling that I was in need of a caffeine recharge. I was looking forward to a fresh cup of liquid energy.

There was a relatively short line, which excited me. There’s nothing better than being in and out at big chain coffee stores. The customer is not there for the ambiance; they just want a cup of joe.

I placed my order, a simple caramel latte, and was anticipating my drink to arrive rather quickly.

It’s sufficient to say I was incorrect.

I do not know if it was because they were low on staff due to the store closing or if the drive-through was particularly backed up that day. Regardless of what the reason was, it took ten minutes from when my drink was ordered to when I obtained it.

I don’t mean to sound petty or ungrateful. It is just that at a large coffee chain, in particular, my main reason for going there is for convenience. The price of my drink may have been nice and low, but for the exact same price, I could have gone right down the street to Starbucks and gotten the same drink, for the same price, in half the time.

In addition to the untimeliness of the order, the drink itself was not that great. The coffee was much weaker than the strain I typically prefer, and the overall taste was rather artificial. The caramel was noticeably syrupy, and the concoction left an overly sweet taste in my mouth.

Many of my close friends rave about Dunkin’ Donuts. It is their first choice for a delay-day coffee trip or a Saturday morning pick-me-up.

Personally, I am okay with sticking to my local, hole-in-the-wall coffee shops, even if it means paying a little extra.

If you are someone who enjoys Dunkin’ Donuts, you need to act fast. The store on 28th street will be closed by the end of the month.

If you are someone who’s on the fence, don’t worry too much about it. There’s plenty of coffee shops around town, and this one just won’t be missed.

Meredith VanSkiver, Staff Writer

Meredith VanSkiver is a junior entering her first year on staff, and she could not be more excited about it. In addition to The Central Trend, she is...