• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

Varsity water polo picks up first win of the season at this weekend’s tournament

The Forest Hills United varsity water polo team had an intense first week of play, as it took on five powerhouse teams Thursday through Saturday.

On Thursday, the team took on the Jenison Wildcats on the road. Jenison is a very tough opponent, and the team managed to stick with them; however, the team suffered a loss with a final score of 8-3. Senior Selina Franovic was the leading scorer on the team, as she went on to score 2 of the 3 goals. Alongside Selina was senior Megan Stockenauer, who scored the team’s only other goal.

Friday night, the team went on the road yet again to take on Zeeland, and sadly the girls fell 11-6. They did, however, have several more goals than they typically score, and that was impacted greatly by Selina. Selina went on to have 4 of the team’s goals; alongside her junior Sarah Schenck had 1, and sophomore Haley McKee had 1 as well. This put the team’s record at 0-3 headed into the weekend games.

During the team’s weekend games it took on Jenison, Grand Haven, and East Kentwood. All three of these schools have solid teams, and Forest Hills went 1-2 against them. The girls fell to Jenison once again with a devastating score of 5-2. After the last performance against the Wildcats, however, this score was very respectable.

In the next game, the team took on the Grand Haven Buccaneers, and it managed to pull out the first win of the season with a score of 7-0. In their last game on Saturday, the girls took on the East Kentwood Falcons and lost 6-3.

After this weekend the team’s record has become 1-4, and the girls managed to pick up their first season win as well against as respectable Grand Haven team. Forest Hills will play again this Tuesday, March 26 at Grandville High School against the powerhouse Grandville Bulldogs.

Zoe Lipke, Sports Reporter

Zoe is a sophomore in her second year on The Central Trend. She is writing for the sports report this year. Zoe partakes in girls basketball at our school,...