• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

Boys varsity lacrosse rebounds with enormous 17-4 win over FHE

Only two days after the first loss of the season against Brother Rice, junior Jackson Clay exploded on the offensive end for a dominating performance. In the 17-4 win over the Forest Hills Eastern Hawks, Jackson tied his season-high in goals, scoring 5 goals while recording 4 assists.

From the beginning of the game, the Rangers jumped out to a quick lead. With multiple injuries hurting key players on the team, some of the backups got their chance and impressed the coaching staff.

“The players who got in today [that usually don’t] stepped up,” head coach Andy Shira said. “They took advantage of their opportunity and it was great to see.”

The boys picked up the pace compared to how they played against Brother Rice when they only scored 1 goal throughout the first quarter. They played fast, especially in transition. While the Rangers did score plenty of goals, they did commit a few turnovers near the net. Also leading the box score for the Rangers was senior Tate Hallock, who scored 3 goals and dished out 3 assists.

Senior Brett Koczenasz had his breakout game of the season, scoring three times as well as recording an assist. The Hawks often double-teamed senior Luke Majick, locking him off from creating a threat for them. Even so, Luke scored twice and overpowered the double team.

Defensively, the Rangers improved immensely from the Brother Rice game. Senior Jack Nolan saved 8 Eastern shots, and the rest of the Ranger defense shut down the Hawk attackmen.

With this win, the Rangers advance to 6-1 on the season. The next game for the team is a game against Hudsonville, which looks to be a favorable matchup for the Rangers.

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter

Matthew is a sophomore at FHC and is writing for his first year on the FHC Sports Report. He plays soccer for Midwest United FC in the spring, for FHC...