Girls freshman basketball dominates Grand Rapids Christian and Forest Hills Eastern at the Cornerstone Tournament

Freshman Maya Holser was the key to the freshman girls basketball team’s success in this year’s Cornerstone Holiday Tournament. Thanks to Maya, and the help of several of her other teammates, the Rangers were able to walk away as champions in their division and bring in the new year on a high note. 

“Maya definitely stood out as a player because of her great defense, and all the points she was able to score on the offensive side,” freshman Frankie Sutton said. “She had a lot of rebounds, and we were able to get her the ball a lot, which was very helpful because she was very explosive towards the basket.”

In the semifinal game of the tournament, the Rangers took on the Grand Rapids Christian Eagles. They were able to secure the win and won by 23 with a score of 47-24. 

Maya played a huge role in this game scoring 26 of the Ranger’s total points. Her massive contributions in the post aided strongly in the teams’ dominance throughout the game. Alongside Maya was her fellow freshman Elizabeth Latunski. Elizabeth and Maya acted as a duo in the post, and Elizabeth contributed eleven points overall for the Rangers. 

“It really was a team effort,” Maya said. “I was just the one lucky enough to put the ball in the basket. I feel our team played great overall, and we really out hustled our opponents.”

After their massive semifinal win the Rangers moved on to the championship game where they were to take on the Forest Hills Eastern Hawks. 

Several weeks earlier the Rangers had taken on the Hawks in their first win of the season, but the game had come down to the very end with the Rangers winning 34-23. However, as the Rangers took on the Hawks in the championship game they proved their dominance for a second time winning 43-34. 

“It felt great to win again against Eastern,” Maya said. “They always give us some kind of competition, and our team effort was huge and helped us to come out on top.”

Sophomore Madison Wilkins had a big game against the Hawks with nine points overall and was helped by Maya, who finished with 15 points. 

“So far this season we have come together a lot,” Frankie said. “We are starting to figure out how everyone plays, and everyone’s strengths and weaknesses. I think overall we played really well in the tournament.”

After their two huge wins in the Holiday Tournament the freshman girls basketball team next step will be their first conference game of the season. They will be taking on the Greenville Yellowjackets Thursday, January 9. The game will tip-off at 5:30 pm, and the game will be played on the Rangers home court.