Girls freshman volleyball loses to East Grand Rapids in three close sets

On Tuesday, the girls freshman volleyball team played in the OK White Conference tournament. This tournament was a big deal for the Rangers, considering they were still undefeated in the conference and were looking to take home a conference championship. With this being said, FHC took on East Grand Rapids in the first game.

After beating the Pioneers in a previous game, the girls came out with a huge amount of confidence knowing that they could beat this team. In the first set, FHC showed their strength and grabbed a nice lead early. The Pioneers were able to fight back, though, and kept it close down the stretch. With two of the Rangers’ key players out, the girls were not in their normal rhythm. They still ended up playing very well though. Freshman Megan Hackerd had a great game filling in the center position, even though she usually plays on the right side. FHC ended up winning the first set 25-21. 

The second game went a little bit differently than the first. Both teams played great, as the game was back and forth the whole time. It eventually came down to the wire where the game was tied at 21-21. The Rangers knew they just needed a couple more big plays, and the game would be theirs. However, East wasn’t going to let that happen, and pulled through to win the second set by a close score of 25-23. 

The last set was also very close. With both teams playing great, there was no clear winner. The game continued to go back and forth with both teams making great plays. The girls’ ball movement and communication really helped them keep it close with East the whole way through. The girls continued to fight, but East was too much for them and the Pioneers grabbed a close 16-14 win.

“It was a very tough loss considering how great we played,” Freshman Kadence Roelfzema said.

The girls are now 9-3 on the season, and play their next game on Tuesday, October 27 in the OK White Conference championship.