Golden darkness

“We just want to make the world dance, forget about the price tag.”

– Price Tag by Jessie J

Glitzy gold obscures our view of the world around us. Falling stars careening towards Earth. Slowly at first, but steadily, steadily coming quicker, faster, harder. A deafening echo resounds as the stars crash land, sending a shower of gold to blanket the world. Stars burst on impact and explode in a flash of gold.

In awe, we stand as a wave of gold races towards us. We throw our arms back in unison, eyes closed in bliss, and mouths open, ready to be enveloped in wealth and power. No one can tear themselves away from the thrall the sparkle casts over us. The wave careens towards us. Closer. Closer.

Yet, when the wave hits, no ecstasy follows. Instead, we are thrown down, thrust into agony as the gold pierces our skin and tears us apart from the inside out. The golden dust worms its way into our eyes and forces them open to stare in horror at the blackness the whips around us. A living, breathing darkness. We are held in the golden clutches of a beast of night.

Its glittering claws slice through the blackness surrounding us; a trail of red follows. No one is safe. Not from the beast of the glorious, golden night. For the monster knows that in this game of cat and mice, the mice are already carrion.

We tremble as the darkness roars. We cower on our knees. We know we are next.

First, golden eyes. Then, golden claws. Finally, the blackness begins to take shape.

The trembling ceases. The cowering stops. Shock rushes in to replace the feeling of terror. For those golden eyes… are ours. Those glittering claws reach up to stroke a face we see in the mirror every morning. Slowly the darkness shifts… and the beast smiles.

A note rings. Through the darkness, a thread of song weaves around the golden monstrosity that looms above us. Soon, another follows. The beast turns; its golden claws still, and its molten eyes turn to watch the notes float towards it. One makes contact, and the beast shudders, a ripple of pain crosses its face. We shudder too. As the music strengthens, the beast falters… and we begin to stand.

– Price Tag by Jessie J

Ashlyn Korpak, Managing Editor of Assignments

Ashlyn Korpak is a junior and entering her third year on The Central Trend. Ashlyn is thrilled for another year of The Central Trend. She does track, rides...