Former Fighting Scot Peyton Bush becomes a Ranger

As sophomore Peyton Bush enters the unfamiliar hallways of FHC that he will soon know inside and out, he begins to reminisce about memories from his former school, Caledonia High School (CHS).

After being a Fighting Scot for his whole life, Peyton has now become a Ranger. He left CHS before his sophomore year because his mother got a new job opportunity, which, in turn, caused Peyton to move to a new school with all new people.

“It was very hard leaving my friends I’ve grown up with behind,” Peyton said. “I wasn’t ready to leave them, but the people [at FHC] have been surprisingly great.”

Despite the overwhelmingly warming welcome, Peyton hadn’t expected it from the students he was unfamiliar with. Thankfully, in addition to the new students, Peyton already knew a couple students from FHC, which also made the move much easier. 

“It was very comforting knowing I had some familiar faces here,” Peyton said. “They were able to introduce me to new people, making it a very smooth transition.”

After the first day of school, Peyton knew that getting to know new students wouldn’t be an issue. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, making him feel more comfortable and less nervous.

Not only have his friends helped him with the transition to FHC but being on the basketball team has as well, something he’s been doing since he was in kindergarten.

“I have been playing basketball for as long as I can remember,” Peyton said. “It’s like I was born to play the sport.”

Much to his delight, working so diligently for the sport has earned him a spot on FHC’s JV basketball team. He is looking forward to the season and is ready to give as much effort to the team as he can. In addition to effort, he is also eager to start achieving the new goals he has for this season, in hopes of growing as a player and as a person. 

“I want to learn more skills to have a successful season,” Peyton said. “I’m hoping to contribute as much as I can to help the team win.”

Because of his history with the sport and his constant drive, Peyton’s main goal is winning. The most memorable moment he remembers was when one of his previous teams won a championship, and what he felt after that win with his team is something he will never forget.

“The acceleration from when we won made me discover a new love for basketball,” Peyton said. “When I was on the court with all of my friends, enjoying my favorite sport, it gave me a feeling that I have never felt before. I was the happiest I have ever been.”

Peyton wants to always feel that way while he’s playing, and in the long run, that has inspired him and his game immensely. Beyond that experience, however, the one person that has inspired him most in his career is his sister. 

“My sister always challenges me to do better in life,” Peyton said. “She told me to go after my dreams and always do what I love.”

He will forever remember when his sister shared this advice with him and will follow those words for the rest of his life. He knows that his sister wants the best for him, and because of this, everything she says is taken to heart. Because Peyton decided to follow in his sister’s footsteps with basketball, he and his sister have been able to build an even stronger relationship through basketball.

“Growing up, she’s always been teaching me new skills,” Peyton said. “I also have had someone to play with and to practice with so I can expand my skills.”

Both emotionally and physically, they have been able to push each other to be better players, and even though his sister is in college now, they still find time to be with each other.

“When we’re together, we are always having fun,” Peyton said. “She is my biggest role model, and I aspire to continue my career just like she did.”

Currently, his sister is playing for Ferris State University, and her college career has done a lot in influence his past and his present with basketball.

She and Peyton share many things in common when it comes to basketball. They both have similar goals with continuing basketball all the way through college, seeing bright futures for themselves in their college careers.

Although he is only a sophomore in high school, Peyton is tasked with carrying on the basketball legacy of his family. Where his career, both basketball and college, will lead him he isn’t sure, but he is excited to see what the future has in store for him.

“I know that wherever I end up, I will be happy because I will be playing basketball,” Peyton said.