Ashley Ward’s hat-trick leads girls varsity soccer over East Kentwood 3-0

Tommy Spaletto

More stories from Tommy Spaletto

Ally Francisco
May 22, 2020
Kelsey Toole
May 17, 2020
Aspen Strauss
April 29, 2020
Ella Kelly
April 24, 2020

After coming off a great opening win against the Rockford Rams 4-0, the girls varsity soccer team took another 3-0 win against the East Kentwood Falcons en route to its second straight win. It was an offensive showcase by senior Ashley Ward, as she scored all 3 goals for the Lady Rangers. Senior goalie Alexa Lauer also had a great game in goal, leading FHC to its second consecutive shutout.

The first half was a defensive showdown, as there were no goals scored and neither offense could really get going. The defenders in the first half played a big role in Friday’s victory. Junior Ally Francisco and sophomore Autumn Burns were huge in stopping the Falcons from getting any major opportunities at the goal. Due to the absence of sophomore and starting right back Whitney Currie, senior Chloe Grooters was moved to outside back and sophomore Lilly Vanskiver was moved to center back.

While the defense was holding it down all game, the offense came alive in the second half, as Ashley scored all 3 of her goals during that tenure. The midfielders also did a great job in the second half, as senior Grace Kline and sophomore Gwen Henderson did a great job of preventing long passes from connecting for the Falcons and breaking up big plays. The Lady Rangers ended up winning the game 3-0 in another great team effort.

This win puts FHC at 2-0 on the year with another big test against Grand Rapids Christian coming up on Monday. It will be the Lady Rangers’ first home game after having two on the road. If the girls can come out strong offensively to attempt to put a solid GRC team away early, look for FHC to win its third consecutive game come Monday.