Freshman girls basketball loses season opener narrowly against Wyoming

On Tuesday night, the freshman girls basketball team made its debut appearance in the game against the Wyoming Wolves. After quite the back-and-forth battle, the Rangers succumbed to the Wolves by a close score of 35-31. 

In the first quarter of the game, the Rangers scored immediately off of a tip to sophomore Madison Wilkins. Their run remained consistent throughout the first quarter with two baskets from freshman Anna Hale, and the Rangers ended the first quarter ahead 12-6. As the second quarter commenced, freshman Frankie Sutton knocked down a three and had a layup, and the Rangers went into halftime still up with a score of 18-14. 

The Wolves came out strong in the third quarter, scoring about double the points the Rangers had in the third. Freshman Elizabeth Latunski had an impactful third quarter for the Rangers, scoring four of her ten points in this period, as did freshman Maya Holser, who also contributed a basket to the Rangers in the third. However, at the end of the third, the tides had turned, and the Rangers were down 27-24 heading into the fourth and final quarter. Frankie came out strong in the fourth with a made free throw and hit a three from the top of the arc for the Rangers, and Maya added four more points to the Rangers efforts, but the Rangers weren’t able to come out with a win. 

The freshman girls basketball team’s next game will be next Tuesday, December 10. They will take on the Rockford Rams on the Rangers’ home court at 5:30 pm.